Dept to decide on foreign maids return


PUTRAJAYA: The return of foreign domestic helpers into the country will be at the discretion of Immigration authorities, says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

The Senior Minister said the ruling to bar the entry of foreigners following the Covid-19 pandemic was still effective.

But Ismail Sabri said there might be “special cases” which the authorities could give due consideration such as employers whose foreign maids had been stranded overseas for months due to the movement control order.

“Perhaps, in the case of a working couple who are looking after aged and sick parents or caring for a child with disabilities, approval may be given.

“It is up to Immigration to look into the cases and decide if the appeal by employers is justified,” he said.

On Wednesday, the Immigration Department said employers with foreign maids stranded overseas but possessed temporary work visit passes could appeal for permission to enter the country.

Its director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud said all appeals could be made through the MyTravelPass system and would be considered on a “case by case” basis, involving health and other critical matters.

Khairul also said employers needed to adhere to all entry conditions and prevention steps, including undergoing screening and the 14-day quarantine, in addition to bearing the cost of the quarantine.

On another matter, Ismail Sabri said the National Security Council’s special meeting had agreed for the police to arrest the 400 residents of Medan 88, Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, who had gone missing when the area was placed under the enhanced MCO.

He said those missing were workers whose employers had moved them out shortly before the area was cordoned off.

“We were told some employers had used buses to bring workers out. So the police will trace the employers and locate these workers.“We have also asked the police to take action against the employers,” he added.

On Wednesday, Medan 88, involving 88 units of shoplots, 284 premises and 800 residents, was placed under the enhanced MCO until Nov 25.

Earlier, the Sepang disaster management committee said it would seek police assistance to detect some 400 residents who did not return home after receiving information that barbed wire would be installed in the area.

Ismail Sabri also announced the extension of the enhanced MCO in three localities in Kudat, Sabah, for another 14 days until Nov 26.

The extension is due to active cases still being detected in Kampung Pengaraban, Kampung Tanjung Kapor and Kampung Landung Ayang, which have been under the enhanced MCO since Oct 12.

As of Wednesday, there were 21 active cases in Kampung Pengaraban, 10 in Kampung Tanjung Kapor and 54 in Kampung Landung Ayang.

The three areas have 2,393 houses with 13,884 residents.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

foreign maid , Ismail Sabri Yaakob , covid-19 , MCO

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

CRSM aims to raise RM500k to help 5,000 flood-hit families, says MCA Youth chief
Covid-19: One school each in Melaka, Terengganu temporarily closed
Saifuddin: RTM to set up special education TV channel
Penang firemen rescue girl, 3, after being trapped in a car
Deputy Foreign Minister donates 150k face masks to Bandar Tun Razak residents
Covid-19: 12 new clusters reported, seven linked to workplaces
Covid-19: Quarantined SPM, STPM students will be allowed to defer exams, says Education Ministry
Covid-19: 229 news cases in Sarawak, mostly in Sibu district
Medical student tests positive for Covid-19 in Melaka
Health Ministry sets up 213 Covid-19 assessment centres to help patients undergoing home treatment

Stories You'll Enjoy