Only a few students came in contact with two Covid-19 cases, says Tenby Schools Penang management


GEORGE TOWN: Only a small number of students and staff of Tenby Schools Penang in Tanjung Bungah were in direct contact with the two students who tested positive for Covid-19.

International Schools Partnership (ISP) South East Asia regional managing director Andy Nicol said that those who have been identified have been asked to self-quarantine by the state Health Department.

"The relevant authorities visited the school on Monday (Nov 9) and are extremely satisfied and impressed with the measures we have had in place to assure the safety and wellbeing of our community.

"Screening will take place tomorrow and will be conducted by the state Health Department on those who have been close contact with the two students," he said in a statement to The Star on Monday (Nov 9).

Nicol said the school has implemented a rigorous standard operating procedures (SOPs) and limited bubbles of student contact since the school reopened in June.

He said as a school that is part of the ISP, it has taken its strongest level of precautions to keep the school and its community safe, including daily temperature-taking of staff and students.

He said the school has strict SOPs in place that meet and exceed the Health Ministry standards and benchmarks, and has passed the government and ISP inspections for Covid-19 SOPs.

"As well as conducting rigorous daily cleaning through the Covid-19 pandemic, we have also been engaged in a process of deep cleaning of the school following the increase in cases in Penang over recent weeks," he said.

On the two students, Nicol said they are doing well and have not demonstrated any physical symptoms of the virus so far.

"Those students did not demonstrate any symptoms when they were at school," he said.

He added that the students are in good health and are currently quarantined in accordance with Health Ministry guidelines and regulations.

He also said that ISP is working closely with the authorities and has been in constant contact with the state Health Department in relation to the matter.

"Our ongoing priority remains to ensure that we safeguard the health and well-being of our students and staff," he said.

A letter from the school principal to parents has stated that the school has been contacted by the health authorities informing them that two of its students had contracted the virus.

The letter sighted by The Star dated Sunday (Nov 8) also assured that the school will continue to have very strict measures in place to ensure that the school and its community are a safe environment.

The letter also assured that the school is in direct contact with the Malaysian authorities.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Next In Nation

Ipoh hospital operating as normal, says director
Covid-19: We've not reached 'Sophie's choice' yet, healthcare system still able to cope, says Health Minister
Police seek to expedite purchase of body cameras
EMCO in two localities in Sarawak lifted
Teenage girl dies after private party in Alor Setar, nine arrested
Call of duty: Melaka CID chief cuts short prayers, rushes to crime scene in Baju Raya
Firecrackers hurled at police in Sentul
Alor Gajah police say viral photo of authorities compounding homeowner RM50,000 is fake
Covid-19: Eight new clusters, five related to workplaces
Police monitoring 'Raya posts' on social media

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers