Rulers’ meeting at Istana Negara ends after over two hours

KUALA LUMPUR: Istana Negara was the centre of political intrigue after a meeting chaired by Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah involving only the Rulers ended after about two-and-a-half hours yesterday.

The meeting which started at about 2.30pm was to deliberate the government’s proposal to declare an Emergency to deal with the rising number of Covid-19 cases amid political uncertainty in the country.

The King was the first to arrive at Istana Negara at 12.30pm, followed by Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar at 1.30pm, Selangor Ruler Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah at 2.15pm and Kedah Ruler Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah at 2.18pm.

Terengganu Ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin arrived at 2.22pm while Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir arrived at 2.23pm, Raja of Perlis Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail at 2.28pm and Perak Ruler Sultan Nazrin Muizzuddin Shah at 2.30pm.

Scores of media personnel gathered at Gate 1 of Istana Negara as early as 11am, while others waited at Gate 2.

Local and foreign media personnel were required to “check-in” with the MySejahtera App as officers enforced the Covid-19 SOP such as body temperature checks before being given special stickers to confirm they had been assessed.

Security at the Palace was tight as well, with a heavy presence of uniformed and plainclothes police officers patrolling the vicinity of Istana Negara.

At around 1pm, Palace officials were seen distributing food packets to media personnel who were waiting outside Istana Negara.

The Sultan of Johor's motorcade seen leaving Istana Negara after a meeting of Rulers on Oct 25,2020. — NORAFIFI EHSAN/The StarThe Sultan of Johor's motorcade seen leaving Istana Negara after a meeting of Rulers on Oct 25,2020. — NORAFIFI EHSAN/The Star

The meeting ended at about 5pm, with the Johor Ruler leaving first at 5.13pm, the Sultan of Terengganu at 5.48pm, the Sultan of Perlis at 5.51pm and the Selangor Ruler at 5.53pm.

Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan left at 5.54pm, followed by the Sultan of Perak at 5.56pm and the Sultan of Kedah at 5.59pm.

The King was the last to leave Istana Negara at 6.06pm.

According to sources, the King was headed to Kuantan, Pahang.

On Friday, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and several ministers presented the King with proposals on how to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic at Istana Abdul Aziz Indera Mahkota in Kuantan.

Article type: free
User access status:

political crisis , Agong , rulers , Emergency rule ,


Did you find this article insightful?


80% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Suspension bridge at Kg Gusi where seven fell likely to be replaced, says Kundasang rep
Violating MCO: 577 arrested on Friday (Nov 27), says Ismail Sabri
Bangladeshi man wanted by police in fighting case
Two dead, one seriously injured after lorry crashes into parked trailer on NSE
Covid-19: Foreign workers in Klang, Seremban to begin mandatory screening on Dec 1, says HR Minister
Malay struggle remains shackled by three 'diseases', says Bersatu youth chief
Employers can submit employees' EPF applications to maintain statutory contribution on Dec 14
Condition of GOF cop shot by smugglers improving, says Penang police chief
Covid-19: Uncle Don's Restaurants urges customers to undergo testing after employee tested positive
Five food handlers in Sibu fined for recovery MCO violations

Stories You'll Enjoy