KOTA KINABALU: The Federal Government has agreed to channel RM50mil to help the Sabah government's Covid-19 mitigation efforts.
State Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun said the funding is to top up the existing state government allocation which is being used to assist communities directly affected by the movement restrictions.
He added that the Federal Government was not going to let Sabah handle the pandemic alone.
“As we mentioned before, RM50mil has been allocated by the Sabah government for Covid-19 mitigation efforts, including the food basket programme. The Federal Government has assured that they are willing to provide the additional funding once we ran out (of ours), ” said Masidi.
The state Finance Minister II said so far 12,813 food baskets have been distributed among villagers in areas under the targeted enhanced movement control order (MCO) zones as well as to heads of households whose families were under self-quarantine at home.
“Thankfully, the Health Ministry has also mobilised their own resources and funding, so the state government's focus is on assisting the people, ” he added.
Asked about the status of hospitals in Sabah especially in the red zones areas, Masidi said that they are coping well although they are stretched to their limits.
“I salute them (health frontliners), they are very dedicated, ” he said.
Masidi also said that he believes that the Health Ministry has done their best in managing Sabah’s present critical situation with the various measures put in place.
“We believe that all the hard work will (lead to) flattening the curve, ” he added.
Masidi said the state government urged the public to continue adhering to the standard operating procedure following the conditional MCO ruling that is taking place for 14 days across the state effective on Tuesday (Oct 13).
“Based on the state Health Department reports, 443 new cases of Covid-19 was reported in Sabah today. There are 2,970 patients undergoing treatments in hospitals across Sabah. Four fatalities were recorded today, ” he added in a statement on Tuesday.
As of Tuesday, 2,054 patients have recovered and been discharged.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful