Jonker Walk on last legs with ongoing MCO, says local councillor


MELAKA: The iconic Jonker Street may not survive much longer without domestic tourism says a Melaka local councillor.

Melaka Historic City Council (MBMB) councillor Tan Chin Gwan said he is afraid that businesses at the tourism hotspot would not be able to sustain until June if there is no plan in place to revive the street.

"Almost a dozen business entities at Jonker Walk had been forced to close down as the owners were unable to sustain the monthly rentals as well as salaries for their workers.

"I hope the government considers opening a few sectors under the fifth phase of movement control order (MCO)," he said when interviewed here on Sunday (May 10).

Tan said business owners at Jonker Walk could be compelled to adhere to strict safety guidelines when opening their premises.

"I am afraid that Jonker Street would vanish from Melaka tourism map if it continues to be empty until June 9," he said.

Check on late Sunday evening shows that the street was empty with only a few people patronising convenience shops.

The night market at Jonker Sreet used to be a thoroughfare during weekends, attracting thousands of tourists before MCO.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

74% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Zahid withdrew RM17.9mil from Yayasan Akalbudi's bank account, witness tells court
Police raid four Bitcoin mining premises, nab six
Awang Rasau, the tiger shot by poachers, dies
Twin pride of Malaysia
Glorious outing in 1998 Commonwealth Games
Nay to smokers
MCO brings new chapter in Malaysian lives
Flying high for Malaysia
The day the towers fell
Man in the soup for lodging false police report over lost MyKad

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers