KOTA KINABALU: Sabah will begin to implement the conditional movement control order (MCO) with immediate effect from Thursday (May 7), says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal.
Shafie, however, said that the implementation would be done in stages, in accordance with the standard operating procedure (SOP) set by the Health Ministry.
He said sectors that could start operating full operations immediately were the agriculture and food industries, factories and manufacturing industries, and logistics on land, jetties and ports.
All businesses linked to and supporting these sectors would also be allowed to operate.
Shafie also disclosed that all oil palm plantations and oil mills in Lahad Datu, Kunak and Kinabatangan would also be allowed to operate again, but subject to the Health Department giving them clearance on Covid-19.
“The state government's priority is for the safety and welfare of the people to be maintained at all times, ” he said.
Sabah resisted adopting immediately the conditional MCO that was implemented on Monday (May 4) by the Federal Government. It insisted in continuing the fourth MCO as had been practised in the earlier phases.
The Chief Minister’s media release on Thursday did not mention shopping malls, restaurants and coffee shops.
The Sabah Covid-19 Command Centre is expected to give further details on the industries allowed to operate.