KUALA LUMPUR: Police are tracing the wherabouts of 134 construction workers who escaped a construction site here, after a Covid-19 screening there.
Federal CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed (pic) said he was briefed on the issue involving over 300 foreign workers who had been screened there.
"Some of them tested positive for the virus and were taken to hospital.
"145 of them, however, managed to escape but their screenings were negative," he told reporters at Bukit Aman on Wednesday (May 6).
"We are now tracking down the remaining 134 foreigners so that they can be quarantined," he said.
On claims that Health Ministry officials had gone to the construction site without police assistance, Comm Huzir said he would look into that.
"Coordination between agencies is required before going to such locations.
"We need to tighten our approach in screening foreign workers following this incident," he said.
A news portal had earlier reported that 145 had fled the Pavilion Embassy construction site on Tuesday (May 5).
It was also reported that authorities had the details of those who had fled after their screenings were completed.
Did you find this article insightful?
88% readers found this article insightful