Covid-19: Sarawak's 17th fatality a 72-year-old man


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 30 Apr 2020

KUCHING: A 72-year-old man became Sarawak's latest Covid-19 fatality, taking the state's death toll to 17.

Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah said the man from Kampung Tabuan Lot here went to the Sarawak Heart Centre in Kota Samarahan on April 16 after suffering from a fever and cough from April 13.

"He was categorised as a severe acute respiratory infection case and a sample was taken for Covid-19 testing.

"The result from the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) came back positive on April 18.

"He passed away at 12.55pm on April 30.

"The patient had no history of contact with other confirmed cases," he said at the state disaster management committee's daily Covid-19 briefing here on Thursday (April 30).

Uggah also said five new positive cases, all from Kuching, were reported in Sarawak, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 507.

The total number of recovered cases in the state is now 222 after six more people were discharged from SGH.

On active case detection in Kota Samarahan, Uggah said 2,288 homes had been visited in Taman Desa Ilmu and Taman Uni Garden in the last two days.

He said 124 residents had been screened so far, while 97 close contacts of positive cases had yet to be screened.

"We find the operation is beneficial and assists us to trace close and casual contacts," Uggah said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Covid-19 , Sarawak , Douglas Uggah , coronavirus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

95% readers found this article insightful

Across the site