KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has opened four investigation papers into various videos posted online involving the Rohingya community, with 19 police reports received between April 25–28, says Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed.
“We’re aware issues involving the Rohingya are being discussed on social media during the movement control order (MCO) period.
“It involves tensions between Malaysians and the Rohingya community but we will get to the bottom of it, ” he said, adding that the situation was sparked by a Facebook live session conducted by a group of Rohingya men.
“They threatened and insulted Malaysians, especially the Malays. The live sessions used an account belonging to Villan Vicky, a Rohingya who stayed in Malaysia previously but is now residing in the United States.
“The men in the live sessions used foul words to insult Malaysians and made derogatory comments on sexual acts. They even claimed the Malays had provoked them first.
“At the end of the video, the men claimed their anger was not directed at Malays but was meant for Rohingya NGO leader Zafar Ahmad. They felt that Zafar was trying very hard to become a Malay. They claimed that Zafar did not represent the voice of the Rohingya in Malaysia” said Comm Huzir.
The suspects also showed a video of them undergoing firearms’ training to defend themselves, he said, adding that the videos have led to misunderstanding between groups, with insults and threats exchanged.
Comm Huzir urged the public to stop speculating on investigations conducted by the Bukit Aman CID’s Special Investigation Unit.
“Any article or statement on this issue should not be shared on social media or other platforms as it will lead to tension and disharmony in the country.
“We will take stern action against those who cause public distress, ” he said.