PETALING JAYA: A third phase of the port clearing will be carried out from Monday to ease congestion nationwide, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.
He said the exercise, which will end on Wednesday, would be based on a standard operating procedure (SOP) that had been communicated to port operators.
It is also extended to ports in Port Klang, Johor, Penang, Kuantan, Melaka, Bintulu and Padang Besar bordering Thailand.
“This SOP has been communicated to participating ports owned by their respective state governments.
“The previous port clearing exercises carried out at the end of March and early April have proven to be effective in expediting the movement of cargo in congested ports.
“The movement of cargo to their final destinations is vital to ensure the uninterrupted supply of goods during the movement control order (MCO) period, ” he said yesterday.
Dr Wee said the ports, particularly in Port Klang, Penang and Johor, had almost reached their respective maximum capacities.
He also said these port clearing exercises were in line with the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act (Measures within the Infected Local Areas) (No.2) Regulations 2020, which were in effect since the MCO’s second phase.
The second port clearing exercise saw congestion in the import-side container yards across most of the ports reduced to between 40% and 60% of their capacities.
“Only Johor port in Pasir Gudang and Westport recorded a high container yard usage at nearly 70%.
“Meanwhile, all ports’ export-side container yards recorded congestion of lower than 40% of their respective capacities.
“The ministry will continue to monitor the congestion at the ports and carry out additional port clearing as necessary, ” he added.
Dr Wee said his ministry was in constant contact with industry players, including port operators, freight forwarders, hauliers and other companies involved in logistics and transportation to ensure the smooth operations of the entire sector.
Queries can be directed to email@example.com, WhatsApp 019-2907723, hotline 1-800-88-7723 (8am-8pm), log on to cccovid19.mot.gov.my or call the National Operations Management Centre of the National Security Council at 03- 88882010.
On another matter, he said Malaysia had received another 48 ICU beds from Beijing, brought in through a special flight by AirAsia and arrived at the KL International Airport yesterday.
“We would like to thank AirAsia for preparing the flight with a higher load capacity as well as the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) for helping to ease the delivery of the ICU beds to Malaysia.
“The ICU beds will be sent to the hospitals for emergency use and to treat serious Covid-19 patients, ” Dr Wee said in a Facebook posting.
He said the Transport Ministry would also try to get permission from CAAC to enable AirAsia to bring the remaining 24 ICU beds from Beijing tomorrow.
This means that there will be a total of 100 ICU beds from Hebei Pukang Medical Treatment Equipment Co Ltd, brought in over three phases.