PETALING JAYA: The government will continue to engage stakeholders to identify their concerns arising from the movement control order (MCO) in order to contain the economic fallout from Covid-19, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.
“The government acknowledges that there is a need for broader assistance in the recently announced economic stimulus package for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and larger companies to weather the rough patch.
“At the same time, we need to find the best holistic and targeted solutions to channel public resources to companies that need them the most.
“The government will do it in tandem with the private sector to find the best way forward, ” he said in an Instagram post yesterday.
The post was made following a meeting between Dr Wee, Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Aziz, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed, Deputy International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Lim Ban Hong, SME Association of Malaysia national president Datuk Michael Kang, the Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) committee, Malaysian Retail Association president James Loke, the Malaysian National Shippers Council and the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers.
Dr Wee also said that it was decided in the meeting that movements related to exports, imports, logistics and e-commerce must continue to be the lifeblood of the Malaysian economy.
“We are going to continue our engagement with all industries. It is encouraging to note that public and private cooperation is going forward strongly so that we can work together to keep our economy strong during and after the MCO, ” he said.
Last week, the Perikatan Nasional government unveiled the RM250bil Prihatin Rakyat Economic Stimulus Package to address the economic fallout from Covid-19, which pundits have speculated could trigger a global recession.
Enforced on March 18, the MCO is expected to end on April 14.