PETALING JAYA: Malaysians are calling for the annual Ramadan bazaar to be called off, citing concerns over the Covid-19 virus, which have infected more than 2,000 over the recent weeks.
Social media users have expressed their fear that a potential third wave of Covid-19 cases could be triggered if the authorities gave the green light for Ramadan bazaars.
Some are even saying that if held, the Ramadan bazaar could put efforts made by frontliners during the 28-day MCO to waste.
“I cannot imagine how social distancing can happen!” said Azni Zain Ahmed.
Facebook user Donald Vincent pointed out that buying food at Ramadan bazaars is a luxury, as Malaysians can choose to prepare their own meals at home instead.
“This is a luxury, not a necessity. Keep markets and groceries open for essentials. Enforce the Movement Control Order (MCO), ” he said.
Earlier on Tuesday (March 31), Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa said his ministry and the Kuala Lumpur City Hall are contemplating whether to approve any large-scale Ramadan bazaars after the MCO ends on April 14.
Similar views were shared by Bobby Tan, who said that any indecision by the authorities could cause a spike in Covid-19 cases after the MCO ends, adding that it could put the efforts made by front liners to waste.
“Are the authorities ready to bear the responsibility if another incident starts a third wave of Covid-19 cases, ” added Siew Ping Tog.
Jelita Rubina Kayani, meanwhile, proposed for Ramadan bazaars to take place on an online platform set up by the customers.
“Let customers place orders from the different stalls online. This would be a great service by the town council to the people, to create a platform like this, ” said Jelita.
Earlier on Tuesday, Health Ministry director-general Datuk Seri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said that proper crowd control measures are needed if Ramadan food bazaars are to be implemented.