Both the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) and Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) recorded drops of around 29% in overall industrial waste and over 10% in overall domestic rubbish.
MBSP mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said during the first seven days of the MCO, 4,144 tonnes of domestic waste was collected from Seberang Prai, down from 4,627 tonnes the week before.
On the island, MBPP saw a 10.94% reduction in domestic rubbish, from 4,229.81 tonnes the week preceding the MCO to 3,766.89 tonnes.
Industrial waste from the island reduced nearly by half from 280.86 tonnes (March 11-17) to 140.35 tonnes (March 18-24).
In terms of volume, however, industrial waste from Seberang Prai far outstrips this figure, reducing from 8,371.58 tonnes to 5,961.76 tonnes during the same period.
This equals to a drop of 28.79% or 2,409.82 tonnes – one-third the weight of the Eiffel Tower. The drop in industrial waste is likely due to many industries shutting their doors to adhere to the MCO.
In terms of day-by-day breakdown, both MBPP and MBSP saw record reduction of domestic rubbish in the last three days of the week.
From Sunday to Tuesday, MBPP records drops of between 14.83% and 24.07% when compared with the same period last week.
MBSP, however, saw a more significant shift, with 18.82% to 21.76% reduction in the same period.
Rozali said in view of the MCO, the fewer people move around, the better it would be.
“If this trend of waste generation continues to go down, I can plan to downsize the number of Wira Oren on the ground,” he said, referring to the orange-uniformed council workers who carry out 3D (dirty, dangerous, difficult) tasks.
What do you think of this article?
86% readers found this article insightful