Some good news: Zero snatch thefts, crime down 48% since MCO began, says KL police chief


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 24 Mar 2020

KUALA LUMPUR: Crime in the city has shown a 48% reduction since the start of the movement control order (MCO), says Comm Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim.

The Kuala Lumpur police chief said there were zero snatch thefts in the city, especially since there were not many tourists around.

"The number of motorcycle thefts also shows a sharp reduction.

"We have conducted 51 roadblocks around the city and Putrajaya since the start of the MCO and the situation is under control," he told reporters outside Pasar Borong Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday (March 24).

A total of 3,127 police personnel and 420 Armed Forces personnel have been deployed to enforce the MCO, he added.

"We want to ensure that people comply with the MCO.

"So far, the compliance level has reached almost 90%. We hope it will reach 95%," he said.

The police will also step up roadblocks and operations in the hotspot areas for Covid-19 including Lembah Pantai, Kepong and Titiwangsa, he added.

"We are advising people to limit their travels and stay home.

"Limit their trips to the supermarket as well by buying only essentials," Comm Mazlan said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Selangor police nab 10 online gambling syndicate members in Klang
One more week needed to put out fire at Pulau Burung landfill
EMCO at Kampung Batu Talam in Raub from Jan 19
PAS continues to strengthen cooperation with Perikatan, says Siti Zailah
Government to review special grant assistance to autism centres
Appeals Court acquits Perhilitan officer accused of submitting false claims
PM and senior ministers wish Malaysian Hindus a Happy Thaipusam
Woman claims she was sexually harassed by Johor rep
RFID: PLUS needs to find solution to congestion at toll plazas, says Fadillah
Covid-19: Less severe Omicron could still cause surge in hospital admissions, says Health DG

Others Also Read


Vouchers