Sarawak extends entry ban on four countries


KUCHING: Foreign travellers from four countries – China, South Korea, Italy and Iran – are now banned from entering Sarawak after the state government decided to extend its entry ban to foreigners to prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the state.

After China and South Korea, all foreigners who have visited Italy and Iran in the past 14 days will be refused entry into Sarawak, the state disaster management committee said in a statement.

It said Malaysians who had been to these countries in the last 14 days were “strongly advised” not to visit Sarawak.

Sarawakians and Sarawakian permanent residents, work and student pass holders who had gone to these countries must undergo compulsory home quarantine for 14 days.

“They will be subjected to random monitoring by the medical authorities, ” the committee said yesterday.

South Korea has reported over 5,000 Covid-19 cases while Italy and Iran have more than 2,000 cases each.

The committee also said visitors from other countries affected by Covid-19, including Singapore, Indonesia and Japan, must adhere to precautionary guidelines issued by the state Health Department at all entry points into Sarawak.

“The above actions are taken as part of the state government’s efforts and measures to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 in Sarawak, ” it added.

Since the outbreak began, there is no known Covid-19 infection in the state.

From Jan 10 to March 3, the state has recorded a cumulative 158 cases of persons under investigation. Of the total, 136 have tested negative while 22 more are awaiting laboratory test results.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Battling Covid-19

   

Next In Nation

PAS the choice of more than just tahfiz graduates, says Idris Haron
Hamzah selected to be Opposition leader in Parliament, says Takiyuddin
Increased women representation in Cabinet a progressive step for unity govt, says Nancy
27 deputy ministers sworn in before the King at Istana Negara
Penang myStarJob Fair 2022 kicks off to good start
‘Restructuring’ in Sabah Bersatu following exodus of leaders, says Ahmad Faizal
15 ministries to meet next week at first Naccol meeting to address cost of living issues, says Salahuddin
LCS project to proceed but subject to review, says Defence Minister
Boy, 7, survives croc attack but suffers multiple bite wounds
Floods: 25 hotspots identified in city by DBKL

Others Also Read