Sports events will be regulated in light of virus scare


  • Nation
  • Monday, 03 Feb 2020

BUKIT MERTAJAM: The Youth and Sports Ministry will work with the Health Ministry to ensure that all sporting events in the country meet with public health guidelines due to the novel coronavirus scare.

Deputy Youth and Sports Minister Steven Sim said that so far, there was no issue in terms of sporting events.

“If the Health Ministry issues any restriction, we will act accordingly. But I want to encourage the public to be aware of three things, ” he said.

“Firstly, to get the most accurate information from official platforms such as the Health Ministry.

“The second thing is to follow strictly the public health advisory, for example, that we need to wash our hands regularly and if coughing, to wear a face mask and take other precautions.

“The final message is not to spread fake news and to verify any news before it is passed on.

“When you spread fake news, you are not only creating panic but it may also cause more harm than good.

“I have heard people telling others not to go to the hospital because of infections but can you imagine if someone is sick, he or she would not dare go to the hospital to seek treatment?” he told reporters after flagging off the Hacks Sweet Run 2020 at the Barkath Group of Companies’ plant at the Bukit Minyak Industrial Area near here yesterday.

The 6km run, held in conjunction with Barkath’s 80th anniversary, attracted about 2,000 participants.

Also present were Barkath Group of Companies’ CEO Datuk Seri Barkath Ali Abu Backer, deputy CEO Anwar Kabir, chief operating officer Loh Gim Huat and Najcom Sdn Bhd director Datuk Haja Najmudeen Abdul Kader.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Across The Star Online