Tender process to award contract to Nafas not finalised yet, says Salahuddin


  • Nation
  • Friday, 22 Nov 2019

GEORGE TOWN (Bernama): The tender process by the Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Ministry over the award of contracts to the National Farmers’ Organisation (Nafas) has yet to be finalised, said its Minister Datuk Seri Salahuddin Ayub.

He said that the process had been carried out in accordance with established procedures and rules and there was no scandal as alleged.

"In fact, all decisions are yet to be finalised, as long as they are not finalised by the Ministry of Finance, it still is an ongoing process,” he said after launching the Fisheries Department's 125th anniversary celebration here Friday (Nov 22).

"So I believe what we do in the ministry is in line with the rules as I always consider and fight for the well-being of the farmers that need to be safeguarded,” he said.

Meanwhile, Salahuddin also admitted to writing a letter to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on Nov 7, recommending that the tender be given to Nafas, but the matter was still under discussion.

"Yes, I wrote to the PM as it is my responsibility and it is a process,” he said.

However, he said it would be a different matter if the letter of acceptance (SST) had been issued.

"If the SST has been issued and I interfere, then it is wrong,” he said.

On Thursday (Nov 21), during a debate session at the Dewan Rakyat, MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong claimed that three contracts worth more than RM1bil were cancelled after the ministry was said to award the project to Nafas under direct negotiation. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site