Maszlee: No further action will be taken against MGS Primary


  • Nation
  • Friday, 18 Oct 2019

Matter resolved: Maszlee (centre) with (from fifth left) Dompok, Moey, FCMSM adviser Catholic Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur Rev Julian Leow and Amin in a group shot after the meeting at the Education Ministry in Putrajaya.

PETALING JAYA: No further action will be taken against Methodist Girls Primary School (MGS Primary) over the recent controversy that had arisen over its Awards Ceremony and Speech Day that took place on Sept 27.

Allaying fears and anxiety that had arisen among mission schools, Education Minister Dr Maszlee Malik said no further action would be taken and the status quo of the practices of the mission school would be observed, according to a press release issued by the Federation of Christian Mission Schools, Malaysia (FCMSM).

Maszlee assured the federation that the ethos, character and traditions of the mission schools would be maintained and respected.

The ministry, he said, appreciated the tremendous contribution of mission schools to education in the country, and recognised the essential role played by the boards in the development and progress of the schools.

He agreed that the boards were a legal entity in the mission schools according to the Education Act 1961, and welcomed the service given by board members in helping maintain mission schools.

This, he said, should continue.

The press release was issued after Maszlee met with FCMSM, which represents 25 mission authorities that own 429 mission schools nationwide, on Oct 10. The meeting was held to clear the air over the controversy arising from the Awards Ceremony and Speech Day of MGS Primary on Sept 27.

A full report was submitted to Maszlee by the school’s Board of Governors and Managers chairman Datuk Kee Phaik Cheen.

During the meeting, FCMSM chairman Moey Yoke Lai expressed concern about how the school board had been treated.

“The director-general reprimanding the MGS headmaster and the WhatsApp message and circular sent out by the state education deputy director were done without a thorough investigation being carried out first,” she said.

She requested that these documents be withdrawn and reconciliatory efforts be made.

Maszlee told the federation that neither he nor Education director-general Datuk Dr Amin Senin were aware of the WhatsApp message sent to heads of primary and secondary schools of the Methodist and Catholic missions.

He said WhatsApp messages should not be used to convey formal instructions from the ministry.

FCMSM assured him that mission schools had similar values with the ministry and only wanted schools that were happy, filled with love and compassion, and showed mutual respect among the community.

Maszlee, said FCMSM, had agreed to more meetings to tackle future issues.

FCMSM patron Tan Sri Bernard Dompok was also present at the meeting.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online