Maid allegedly raped by Perak exco member under protective care


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 13 Jul 2019

SERDANG (Bernama): The maid who was allegedly raped by her employer, a Perak state executive councillor, has been placed under the appropriate care and protection, said Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.

"You can't say that she was not protected because the moment she lodged a police report, the police took action (by arresting him) and (only later) released him on police bail," the deputy prime minister told reporters after opening a forum entitled "Creative Parenting to Face the New Millennium Challenge" in conjunction with the national-level 2019 Parents' Day celebration at Universiti Putra Malaysia here on Saturday (July 13).

Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain was reported as saying that the state executive councillor who was arrested on suspicion of raping his Indonesian maid had been freed on police bail.

He said the exco member had also been examined by doctors as part of the police investigation.

On July 8, the 23-year-old Indonesian maid lodged a police report alleging she was raped by her employer at his house in Meru, Ipoh.

The media today reported that the Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur was closely monitoring developments on the rape case involving its citizen.

Indonesian Embassy police attaché Chaidir Zahari was reported as saying that the 23-year-old complainant had been placed in a safe house after the embassy contacted the police in Perak, where the maid lodged her report. – Bernama


   

Across The Star Online