KUALA LUMPUR: The death toll on the tenth day of Ops Selamat has risen to 176.
Royal Malaysia Police corporate communications head Senior Asst Comm Datuk Asmawati Ahmad said a total of 16,470 accidents involving 23,263 vehicles were reported between May 29 and June 7.
The Op Selamat 15 road safety operation was launched on May 29 in conjunction with the Aidilfitri festive season.
"A total of 164 fatal accidents were recorded resulting in 176 deaths.
"Statistics compiled by the Federal Traffic Investigations and Enforcement Department revealed the states with the highest fatalities are Selangor (28), Johor (25) and Perak (18)," she said in a statement on Saturday (June 8).
She added that a total of 217,683 summonses had been issued during this period through 2,902 traffic operations.
"Traffic offenders in Selangor raked up 30,529 summonses followed by 17,706 summonses issued in Johor and 16,464 summonses issued in Perak.
"A total of 441 break-ins were also reported during this time with 107 reported in Selangor, 46 in Sabah and 42 in Sarawak," she said.
Ops Selamat, which ends on June 12, focuses on six major offences, namely driving on the emergency lane, overtaking on double lines, using hand phones without the "hands-free" mode, queue jumping, speeding and beating traffic lights.
Did you find this article insightful?