Klang folk left high and dry after pipe burst


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 08 May 2019

KLANG: Several places in Klang were thrown into chaos after their water supply came to a sudden halt on Sunday.

The cut was due to damage to the Klang stretch of the West Coast Expressway (WCE) project site from soil movement which caused a part of the road to sink as well as some parts of the retaining wall to crack.

Three main water pipes in the vi­­cinity measuring 1,400mm, 900mm and 600mm dislocated and leaked extensively.

Some 80 houses and 30 shops were flooded in waist-deep muddy water on the day of the incident.

Selangor Mentri Besar Amirudin Shari, who visited the site yesterday, said the pipes were the major providers of water to Klang.

“We are doing the repair work now and the 1,400mm pipe is almost complete, and we can distribute the water to the Lipat Kajang catchment pond, which channels water to areas that are currently affected, once it is ready,’’ said Amirudin.

He added that water would resume in stages and expected it to return to normal in 24 hours.

Repair in progress: Dr Xavier visiting the site of the ruptured pipes in Klang.

“We have almost completed the repairs on the pipes but there was soil movement again last night (Monday) and when this happened, work had to be stopped to prevent bigger problems,’’ he said, adding that work after that concentrated on mitigating further damage.

Amirudin said had the mitigation gone smoothly without the soil movement, 30% of the water supply would have resumed by yesterday.

According to him, some 74 Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (Air Selangor) water tankers had been dispatched to the affected areas.

“We have also provided about 20,000 five-litre mineral water bottles to be distributed given that it’s the month of Ramadan.

“I know that it has created much hardship but we will overcome the water disruption as soon as possible,’’ said Amirudin.

Water, Land and Natural Resour­ces Minister Dr Xavier Jayakumar said he had asked the National Water Services Commis­sion (SPAN) to open an investigation into the matter.

He said he would also ask government agencies such as the Survey and Mapping Department and Mineral and Geosciences Depart­ment to look into the soil movement in the area.

SPAN chairman Charles Santiago said investigations had already started to identify the cause of the mishap.

“WCE, as well as other relevant parties, will be called in to explain and if found there was negligence on their part, charges will be initia­ted against them,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

PM gave me wide powers with NRC chairman role, says Muhyiddin
Current Covid-19 stats disprove claims of Internet trolls, says Muhyiddin
Undi18 could lead to unpredictable GE15 outcome, says Fadillah
PM approves RM1mil for strengthening Sungai Kemensah river banks
J-Kom spent RM14,500 on Covid-19 publicity efforts
Over RM1mil spent on renovations, new furniture for PM's Department
Payment being finalised to MySejahtera app developers, says PM
Health Ministry should take over management of MySejahtera app, says PAC chairman
Parliament debates stretch into night time on Tuesday (Sept 21)
Almost 400 human trafficking victims rescued this year, say police

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers