Calls to probe Mohamad


SEREMBAN: The state PKR and Parti Amanah Negara have lodged reports with the police and anti-graft body, urging fresh investigations into Barisan Nasional candidate Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan for transferring RM10mil via a money changer to buy a luxury apartment in London in 2008.

The police report was lodged by Negri Sembilan PKR while the re­­port with the Malaysian Anti-Cor­rup­tion Commission (MACC) was lodged by Negri Sembilan Amanah Youth.

But Mohamad called it “child’s play” and declined to waste his “bullets” over the issue.

“Let him (Dr S. Streram) shoot his bullets. Why should I waste mine? There’s no need for me to be like a child, he plays with sand, I play with ashes. I will not be disturbed. This is their way to make me lose my concentration,” he said.

Mohamad added that he prefer­red to focus on his campaign with polling day on Saturday.

The three-term assemblyman also refused to entertain his rival Pakatan Harapan candidate Dr Streram’s demand for an explanation on the RM6mil bungalow in Seremban with a Minangkabau design and also why Mohamad, an ex-banker, used a money changer instead of a bank to transfer RM10mil to buy the London apartment.“Check whether that bungalow is mine or not. If it’s mine then it is, if it’s not then it’s not.

“I’m too lazy to play. It’s like a silly story for kids playing house,” he told reporters at the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) base in Sendayan here after observing the early vo­­ting for armed forces personnel yesterday.

“It’s up to them. This RM10mil (apartment) issue was investigated a long time ago.

“If they want to make a report about it, then no problem. That’s normal.

“Those in politics will find ways to discredit their opponent.

“But I’m confident that it won’t be an issue and that people will know how to differentiate between what is true or otherwise,” he said.

PKR information chief Yusof Tapar claimed that the police report was made following emergence of new evidence in the form of a “confession” by Mohamad, who in a press conference on Sunday said that the RM10mil he transferred was indeed to buy his London pro­perty.

“We understand that the money was not declared to Bank Negara Malaysia before being transferred via the money changer.

“The year 2008 saw Salamath Ali Money Changer found guilty and had its business licence revoked.

“Meanwhile, the one who order­ed the transaction was not charged,” Yusof told reporters outside the Seremban district police headquarters yesterday.

Mohamad had previously been cleared by the MACC and the Attorney-General’s Chambers over the case but Pakatan had questioned why he got away scot free while the money changer was found guilty and forced to close shop over the scandal.

On Monday, Dr Streram in a press conference urged Mohamad to also explain his source of income which enabled him to purchase the Lon­don apartment while holding the post as the Negri Sembilan mentri besar 11 years ago.

The anaesthesiologist also asked Mohamad to explain the viral on­­line footage of a luxury Seremban bungalow which he allegedly secretly owned despite previously saying that he did not own a house in the city.

Mohamad is in a four-cornered fight with Dr Streram and independent candidates R. Malarvizhi and Mohd Nor Yassin in the by-election.

Related stories:

War of words over bungalow continues

Tok Mat can keep Pakatan govt in check, says MCA

Almost 100% turnout for early voting

Bedridden ex-cop does his duty