Some Sarawakians detained in scam had been in Cambodia before


KUCHING: Initial investigations by the police have found that some of the 40 Sarawakians detained in Cambodia recently had visited the country on previous occasions.

"We know that some are not first-timers. They have been there before," state CID chief Senior Asst Comm Denis Leong said.

However, he said it was unclear how many of them had been to Cambodia before as the CID was still carrying out an enquiry into the matter.

He said the CID was looking into whether there were any elements of human trafficking, while the main investigation into an alleged job scam was being carried out by the state Commercial CID.

"We are still compiling the facts. We have recorded some statements and we are still trying to get more witnesses to come forward.

"When we finish our enquiries, then we can see whether there is human trafficking," Leong said on Thursday (Feb 28), adding that the CID hoped to wrap up the enquiry in a couple of weeks.

So far three people have been detained by the Commercial CID in connection with the case.

A 35-year-old man who was arrested on Saturday (Feb 23) had his remand order extended for another three days until Mar 3.

The order to extend the remand was granted by magistrate Faelly Jeffrey Lanjungan at the magistrate's court here on Thursday (Feb 28).

Two more suspects were arrested on Sunday (Feb 25) and have been remanded until Friday (Mar 1).

The 40 Sarawakians were among 47 Malaysians who went to Cambodia after receiving lucrative job offers which did not materialise. Instead, they were arrested on Dec 11 on suspicion of being involved in illegal online gambling.

They were released from detention on Feb 15 following talks between the Malaysian and Cambodian governments and returned home on Feb 17.