PETALING JAYA: The government has identified alternative haemodialysis centres for patients of the recently deregistered Mawar Medical Centre (MMC) in Seremban following the centre’s failure to make such arrangements before its closure, says the Health Ministry.
MMC, which was sealed off by authorities on Thursday (Feb 14), failed to adhere to instructions from the Health Director-General to ensure that all dialysis patients from the centre would get further treatment at private hospitals or other private haemodialysis centres after its closure.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said his ministry found that the MMC had merely put up a notice at its premises to note that it would only be providing dialysis treatments up until Thursday (Feb 14) and had advised patients to make their own arrangements for dialysis treatments after that date.
“The ministry will take all initiatives to ensure the placement of patients at alternative centres goes smoothly,” Dr Dzulkefly said in a statement on Thursday.
On Nov 5 last year, the Health Ministry ordered the MMC to cease operations following the resignation of almost all its medical specialists.
The doctors, who resigned on Nov 1, claimed they had not been paid their dues amounting to RM5.8mil.
On Nov 8, 12 medical specialists served a winding-up notice on Mawar Haemodialysis Centre (MHC), which runs MMC, giving the management 21 days to settle the dues.
MMC’s licence was revoked on Dec 14, 2018.
“The Ministry wishes to clarify that it was very concerned and had taken steps to help MMC resolve its licensing issues following the resignation of all but one of its specialists on Nov 5, 2018.
“Among the steps taken include eight meetings with the management and representatives of MMC from November 2018 to January 2019,” said Dr Dzulkefly.
The Ministry however explained that the closure of the MMC did not also involve 13 other branches of the haemodialysis centres licensed under MHC.
The MHC could apply for a licence ownership transfer for its 13 other branches to any non-profit bodies separately so that the financial aid and subsidies enjoyed by haemodialysis patients would not be affected, said Dr Dzulkefly.
It was earlier reported that the MHC, which ranks among the country’s largest non-profit private dialysis centres, was facing financial problems affecting its operations.
The MHC management had said it would be forced to take the drastic measure to close its 13 centres as the Health Ministry has yet to approve an application for a new licence to operate its private wing, the MMC.
The MHC, which provides treatment to 798 dialysis patients nationwide, is partly financed by revenue generated by the MMC.