KUALA LUMPUR: Dewan Negara president Tan Sri S. A. Vigneswaran says he will initiate legal proceedings against Transport Minister Anthony Loke for accusing him of breaching security protocols while using the VIP lane at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).
Vigneswaran said he was unfairly put on “trial by the media”, while his family members were ridiculed on social media following the incident.
"Vulgar comments were made on social media. As a politician and even as the Senate president, I can accept all that and it is up to him.
"But if you insult my daughter and wife who have nothing to do with this, as a father did he not consider about this after the video was uploaded in the social media.
"I will sue Loke. He used Malaysian Airports Holding Berhad (MAHB) to come out with the video. It is an attempt to embarrass me as the Dewan Negara president," he told a press conference in Parliament on Monday (Nov 19).
In the Nov 14 incident at 10.40pm, officers stationed at the VIP lanes stopped the MIC president for not adhering to proper dress code and for going through the VIP lane without undergoing security checks.
Asked when he will initiate the legal proceeding, Vigneswaran said he will sue Loke for defamation "as soon as possible".
"You have embarrassed my wife and my daughter.
"Why is Loke acting as if he is a judge and making his own decision on whether I am guilty of any offence.
"I will defend the sanctity of my family and will let the court decide," he said.
At a separate press conference in Parliament, Loke said he would let the police investigate on the security breach incident at the airport.
“Let the police investigate and decide,” he said when met by reporters.
On Sunday (Nov 18), Loke said a police report had been lodged by the airport’s management and the ministry would wait for the full report from the investigation.
‘Claim a cheap shot by Loke’
Do your duty without fear of VIPs, Loke tells govt officers
Police now probing ‘sandals saga’