Loke: Ministry plans to impose life bans against drivers in fatal accidents


  • Nation
  • Monday, 08 Oct 2018

Anthony Loke (third from left) speaking to reporters on Monday. -Bernamapic

PUTRAJAYA: The Road Transport Act should be amended to ensure drivers responsible for causing deaths are banned from driving for life, says Anthony Loke.

The Transport Minister said under Section 41 of the Road Transport Act, which covers the offence of causing death by reckless driving, drivers will have their licence suspended for three years.

"It means that after the three years, these drivers are allowed to drive again.

"I feel that this is not strict enough. If you cause the death of others on the road, you should be banned from driving for life," said Loke at a press conference here on Monday (Oct 8).

Loke said the ministry is looking into amending the Act and is gathering feedback from agencies such as the Malaysian Institute of Road Safety Research (Miros) on the matter.

"As this would involve amending the Act in Parliament, the process will take some time," said Loke.

He was commenting on the fatal accident near Menora tunnel on the North-South Expressway in Perak on Saturday (Oct 6).

A trailer driver lost control of his vehicle and collided into several vehicles including a Kia Forte, which burst into flames, killing a family of five.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Kapit to be further developed with infrastructure facilities, says Abang Johari
Remand for eight cops extended another week in murder probe
Kampung Liak residents worry as wild elephant smashes house wall
Flood situation in Johor improves with more evacuees returning home
Money laundering probe on Bersatu unrelated to Covid-19 stimulus packages, says MACC
Link-up between Port Klang, POIC Lahad Datu port on the cards as talks restarted
Old Mt Kinabalu climbing fees will apply for bookings made last year
LRT disruption: Bandaraya-Masjid Jamek stretch closed for two weeks, says Loke
Tawau murder case: Remand for eight policemen extended seven days
Over 1,000 students, teachers still affected by floods in Sabah

Others Also Read