Home Ministry: Deported Syrian refuses refugee offer from Malaysia


PUTRAJAYA: The Syrian who made KLIA2 his home from March has refused refuge offers in Malaysia and other countries, said Deputy Home Minister Datuk Azis Jamman.

Azis said Hassan Al Kontar (pic) had insisted that he only wanted asylum from Canada, but that his application could take as long as two years to be approved.

“We cannot let him stay at the airport for two years. He also refused to go to other countries that were willing to accept him as a refugee,” said Azis at a press conference after the National Registration Department.

Azis however, said several MPs reached out to him and asked him to consider Hassan’s situation and not have him deported to Syria.

“We will let the police investigate this matter first,” he said.

Hassan is currently under police custody, after he was arrested on Monday and remanded for 14 days.

Immigration Department had said Hassan would probably be deported back to Syria after police had finished investigations.

Hassan, however, refused to return to his home country, claiming that he feared he would have to serve the army in the war.

The 36-year-old had been stuck in transit at KLIA2 since March.

He then gained online fame when he posted videos of his life at the airport terminal on social media, which subsequently attracted the attention of human rights groups and the media. His case was also highlighted by popular vlogger Nas Daily.


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia