Russia: Missile that shot down flight MH17 was Ukrainian


MOSCOW (AP): The Russian military said on Monday (Sept 17) that the missile that shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, killing all 298 people on board, came from the arsenals of the Ukrainian army, not from Russia.  

The jet was shot down by a Soviet-made missile over rebel-held eastern Ukraine in July 2014, about

40km (25 miles) from the Russian border, where fighting had been raging for months between Ukrainian forces and Russian-backed separatists.  

Associated Press reporters sighted a Buk missile system not far from the site just hours before the plane crash.  

The Netherlands and Australia announced in May that they believe the missile was transported to Ukraine from a military unit in the Russian city of Kursk.  

Russia has vehemently denied involvement and has over the years come up with various theories as to the cause of the crash.

Lt Gen Nikolai Parshin, chief of the Missile and Artillery Directorate at the Russian Defence Ministry, told reporters on Monday that the military had studied and declassified archives at the research centre outside Moscow that produced the Buk missiles after the Dutch investigators displayed parts of the missile and their serial numbers.  

Parshin said the Russian archives show that the missile that was made of these parts was transported to a military unit in western Ukraine in 1986, and to Russia’s knowledge never left Ukraine.

Asked about the possibility that the separatists may have seized the missile system during fighting in 2014, Defence Ministry spokesman Maj Gen Igor Konashenkov conceded that Russia does not have any documents proving otherwise but pointed to the statements of Ukrainian officials who have denied that separatists seized any of their Buks.  - AP
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

MMEA: Over 100 vessels detained for illegal anchoring in Johor waters since January this year
Penang Mufti: Transgender people should change appearance before entering mosques, surau
Theme parks should be allowed to re-open, says Deputy Tourism Minister
Driving tests backlog will be cleared by end of the year, says JPJ
Rina Harun: Three one-stop social support centres to open early next year
Phase 3 BPR payments to start from Tuesday (Sept 28), says PM
Covid-19 Watch: 13,104 new cases on Sunday (Sept 26), Sarawak top with 2,943
Covid-19: Over 30% of students aged 12 to 17 have received first dose of vaccine, says Dr Mah
MACC seizes over RM1.6mil in assets linked to its senior officer, says report
Rumour that senior citizens must surrender driving licence not true, says Dr Wee

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers