Ramkarpal confident with new evidence, Altantuya’s murder case will be reopened

  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 19 Jun 2018

Altantuya, 28, is believed to have been shot dead before her body was blown to bits with explosives at a secondary forest near the Subang Dam in Puncak Alam, Shah Alam in 2006.

PUTRAJAYA: The emergence of new leads in Altantuya Shaariibuu’s murder is enough grounds to reopen investigations, said lawyer Ramkarpal Singh.

After a discussion with newly-appointed Attorney General Tommy Thomas here on Tuesday, Ramkarpal expressed confidence about the 12-year-old case. 

“We are quite optimistic that in light of this discussion with the new AG, the case can be investigated further.

“The issue of motive, as to who ordered the murder of Altantuya, will allow this case to proceed and to be investigated so that those responsible can be brought to justice,” said Ramkarpal at a press conference at the AG’s Chambers.

Ramkarpal, as the lawyer for Altantuya’s family, accompanied the victim’s father Dr Shaariibuu Setev to meet Thomas earlier.

He, however, said he is “not at liberty” to reveal what the new leads are.

Ramkarpal also said that it was “not necessary” for Sirul Azhar Umar, who was convicted for the murder, to return to Malaysia from Australia in order for the case to be reopened.

“There are enough leads locally for the case to be reopened,” said the lawyer.

Ramkarpal said the setting up of a Royal Commission of Inquiry was also discussed with the AG, but added that an RCI would be an “alternative”.

“The main focus is on reopening investigation on the case. If we can do that, we do not need the RCI,” he said.

Speaking through a translator, Dr Shaariibuu said that all he wanted was justice to prevail in the case of his daughter’s murder.

“No one is above the law,” he said in Mongolian.  

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun had said last month that the police had not found any grounds to reopen investigations into the case.

Altantuya, 28, is believed to have been shot dead before her body was blown to bits with explosives at a secondary forest near the Subang Dam in Puncak Alam, Shah Alam in 2006.

In 2009, Sirul Azhar Umar and accomplice Azilah Hadri were convicted of murdering Altantuya and were sentenced to death.

The Court of Appeal overturned their sentences in 2013 but upon the prosecution's appeal, the sentences were upheld by the Federal Court.

Sirul fled to Australia, where he was detained by the Australian Immigration after Interpol issued a red notice on him.

He has been at the detention centre since 2015, where he is hoping to get asylum.

Start your ads-free experience now!

Monthly Plan


Annual Plan


Billed as RM148.00/year

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only

Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.
Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Applications for Mitra's private kindergarten education, dialysis subsidies open today
New Dewan Negara president will be a Sarawakian, says Abang Jo
Sg Bakap polls: Door-to-door canvassing a more personal touch, says PN candidate
There was criminality and forgery in the running of SRC, ex-director tells court
Special plates for EVs await finalisation, says Loke
Johor MB moots talent council to help create highly-skilled workforce
Possible threats to King, PM foiled with arrest of eight suspected extremists, says Home Minister
M'sia-Taiwan Crosstalk Show is back to chase the blues away
Sg Bakap polls: Community connections matter more than academic credentials, says Perikatan candidate
Batik Air, Kia ink MoU to promote sustainable terminal transport service at KLIA

Others Also Read