Court 'no' to prohibition order against Na'imah, son and others over alleged funds in S'pore banks


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has dismissed the prosecution's application for a prohibition order on RM548mil in investment money, said to belong to Toh Puan Na'imah Abdul Khalid, her son and seven others, in several banks in Singapore.

Justice Mohd Arief Emran Arifin said the prosecution had failed to pass the threshold under Section 53 of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) 2001.

"The test for Section 53 is not fulfilled, therefore, the application is dismissed," he said here on Friday (May 22).

Deputy public prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat appeared for the prosecution. Na'imah, her son and seven others were represented by lawyers Datuk Dr Gurdial Singh Nijar and Abraham Au.

On June 19 last year, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) filed an ex-parte application seeking to restrain Na’imah, her son Amir Zainuddin, two individuals, five companies, and related parties from managing overseas assets.

The MACC alleged that the assets, comprising investment funds, were held in several bank accounts in Singapore.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Teacher, son killed in Rompin crash
45 animal horns worth about RM5,000 seized at Penang airport
Malaysia urges Asean action as haze pushes API readings to unhealthy levels
Malaysia, Pakistan to boost intel sharing, step up fight against cross-border drug trafficking, says Saifuddin
Do you know... about the dos and don'ts of EV charging?
Having doubts about your new online love?
Balancing the cost of better pay
Ex-Tabung Haji CEO remanded by MACC
A community draped in the spirit of ‘Merdeka’
Marital spat ends in eight life sentences

Others Also Read