PETALING JAYA: The move by Bersatu assemblymen in Negri Sembilan to withdraw their statutory declarations (SDs) supporting the formation of the state government is a violation of the spirit of cooperation within the Perikatan Nasional coalition, says Tan Sri Abdul Hadi Awang.
According to Sinar Harian, the PAS president said Bersatu’s actions were unacceptable as the coalition already had enough seats to form the state government.
“Unfortunately, Bersatu suddenly withdrew the SDs and cancelled them. We view this as a move that violates the spirit of cooperation between us.
“Their reasons are unacceptable,” he reportedly said during a press conference at his residence in Rusila on Friday (May 22).
Abdul Hadi said PAS holds three seats in Negri Sembilan while Bersatu has two, and together with Umno’s 14 seats, the bloc had a total of 19 seats.
“Why did Bersatu withdraw while even Umno did not?” he said, adding that PAS secretary-general Takiyuddin Hassan had sent a letter to Bersatu to express objections over the move.
Abdul Hadi also reportedly said this was not the first time Bersatu had acted in a manner that showed a lack of respect for cooperation within Perikatan.
He cited a previous incident in Perlis where Bersatu representatives supported a motion of no confidence against the PAS mentri besar.
“When this happens again, we will study and discuss the matter with the Perlis leadership on the next course of action.
“When they do not respect Perikatan, what else can we say?” he reportedly said.
In the 15th state election held in August 2023, Barisan Nasional won 14 out of the 36 state seats, Pakatan Harapan secured 17 seats while Perikatan Nasional won five seats.
Last month, 14 Barisan assemblymen announced that they had withdrawn support and lost confidence in Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar Aminuddin Harun from Pakatan Harapan.
Previously, the five Perikatan assemblymen voiced their support for the Umno Barisan assemblymen who retracted support towards the state unity government.
However, two Bersatu assemblymen — Ridzuan Ahmad and Mohamad Hanifah Abu Baker — later announced that they would take a neutral stance.
Ridzuan became the first Perikatan representative to announce such a position, citing the need to maintain political stability, while Mohamad Hanifah later followed suit, saying any change in administration should be returned to the people through an election.
On another matter, Abdul Hadi reportedly said PAS rejected proposals to reshuffle the administrations in Kedah and Kelantan, including positions involving state executive councillors and state assembly speakers.
“For us, we look at the performance of the individuals involved. They have carried out their duties well, so there is no need for any reshuffle or removal.
“Such actions are not part of our party’s approach unless there are strong reasons and justifications,” he reportedly said.
Earlier this month, two Kedah representatives sacked by Bersatu — state executive councillor Dzowahir Ab Ghani and deputy state assembly speaker Abdul Razak Khamis — were allowed to retain their respective positions.
Kedah Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor reportedly confirmed that both would continue carrying out their duties as Independent assemblymen supporting the state government while awaiting the outcome of the party’s appeal process.
