MACC raids Musa’s house, files seized


  • Nation
  • Friday, 25 May 2018

KOTA KINABALU: Graft investigators have raided the house of Sabah Barisan Nasional chairman Tan Sri Musa Aman (pic) and seized several files.

Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) sources said yesterday that a team of investigators went to his house at Lu­­yang here on Wednesday afternoon in connection with graft investigations.

However, the sources only confirmed that files were taken during the “visit” though Musa and his immediate family members were not present.

The sources refused to say whether the investigations were part of a probe into alleged assemblymen buying after the May 9 general election left Bari­san and Parti Warisan Sabah tied with 29 seats each in the 60-member state assembly.

Sabah STAR led by Tambunan assemblyman Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan became kingmaker with the party winning two seats. It supported Barisan to pave the way for Musa to be sworn in on May 10.

However, Musa lost his majority after six assemblymen from Barisan component Parti Upko and Sabah Umno left to support Warisan and its partners DAP and PKR under Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal who was sworn in on May 12.

MACC are reportedly checking on claims of RM20mil was used to gain support for Barisan to form government.

MACC officers earlier this week seized some RM80,000 cash and a bank card during a raid at a Dr Jeffrey’s Keningau house and offices here.

They also recorded the statement of Dr Jeffrey and his party officials.

Dr Jeffrey told reporters that it was politically motivated and asked MACC to also investigate the assemblymen from Barisan who crossed over to Warisan.

Meanwhile, Sabah police are expected to wrap up investigations into the alleged criminal intimidation against the head of state once they get statement from Musa.

Nine people have already been questioned since the probe started on May 14 following a report lodged by head of state Tun Juhar Mahiruddin, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din.

The nine include Tun Juhar, he said, without revealing the identities of the others.

“We just need Musa’s statement before bringing this case to the deputy public prosecutor,” he said after handing over kuih raya to security forces at the Menara Tun Mustapha here yesterday.

Ramli said Musa was not in the state and refused to elaborate.

“You have to ask the Immi­gra­tion Department whether he is still in the country,” he said.

He said there is no warrant of arrest issued yet and is confident of finding Musa.

The alleged threat by Musa against the governor is being in­­ves­tigated for criminal intimidation under Section 506 of the Penal Code.

The police report by Juhar surface­d over the weekend when political circles talked of possible threats, after two political leaders were sworn in at Istana Negeri as chief minister within 48 hours.

The police investigation is likely to give a clearer picture on what happened at Istana Negeri on the night of May 10, amid the political horse trading.

In a statement issued later yesterday, Musa’s lawyer Zahir Shah said his client had denied all allegations of criminal intimidation against the head of state or anyone else.

He said Musa regretted Juhar was dragged into the legal suit.

He said Musa believed that at the end of the day, the rule of law must prevail and the state Consti­tution must be respected.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site