Gobind: Anti-Fake News Act will be abolished


KUALA LUMPUR: The Anti-Fake News Act officially gazetted in April will be abolished, said the new Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo.

He said the proposal to repeal the Act would be brought to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad so that it could be abolished as soon as possible.

“I have a list that we need to study. I will hold a press conference tomorrow (Tuesday ) to inform specifically. We have an Anti-Fake News Act, and as mentioned in the Pakatan Harapan manifesto, we will repeal it.

“We will set the time-frame, in the first 100 days, we have to deliver but how much time is required, I will discuss with my officials tomorrow. Indeed, I will do it and start work tomorrow at 8.30am sharp,” he said here on Monday (May 21).

He said this to reporters after taking his oath of office, loyalty and secrecy together with 12 other Cabinet Ministers before Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V at Istana Negara here.

As the new minister heading the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia, Gobind, 45, said media freedom was his main agenda, which is included in the Pakatan Harapan manifesto.

But he said the matter should be made with reference based on the existing laws.

“Media freedom is my priority. The media churning out news and publishing companies are bound by the existing laws so we have to look at it that way, and we have to find ways to improve the freedom of press in the country. And I am committed to do so.

“I will create a group of legal experts so that they can see the impact of the law so far, where there are shortcomings, we will try to improve,” he said.

Among others that will be reviewed include several laws related to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) which relates to complaints and investigations into several reported cases. - Bernama

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan

Others Also Read