CYBERJAYA: Gagasan Sejahtera presented 20 major points in its manifesto for the general election that include popular promises such as abolishing the Goods and Services Tax (GST), reducing crime and getting rid of student loans.
The coalition's vice chairman Datuk Tuan Ibrahim Tuan Man said it would replace GST with tax on corporate savings and capital gains tax in Bursa Malaysia.
Gagasan is a coalition comprising PAS, Parti Ikatan Bangsa Malaysia (Ikatan) and the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Front (Berjasa).
Tuan Ibrahim, who is also PAS deputy president and the chairman of the manifesto's drafting committee, said they would also offer assistance for first time car buyers for models below 1300cc through excise duty exemptions and interest-free loans.
"We will also empower Islam as the official religion and make Bahasa Melayu as the medium for all subjects in the country's education system.
"We will also change the structure of the toll rates by going through the toll concession agreements that exceeds 15 years," he said.
He added that the manifesto is based on nine main thrusts which are:
* The formation of a government with integrity, trustworthiness and free from corruption.
* To increase disposable income and provide new opportunities for the rakyat.
* Empowering Malaysians to ease the impact of inflation and the rising cost of living.
* Reducing the gap of income and wealth distribution between urban and rural areas.
* Improving the quality of education to create better human capital.
* The harmonisation of the legal system and governance.
* Strengthening the concept of federalism by restoring certain rights of a state government.
* Empowering the people's voice, which is in line with the demands of Syura and democratic principles.
* Enhancing the effectiveness of current social support system for vulnerable groups.
Tuan Ibrahim added that the manifesto was drafted by a body comprising economy experts, tax experts, syariah experts and those who were experienced in cultural and social affairs.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!