Subramaniam to defend post


  • Nation
  • Monday, 30 May 2005

BY A. LETCHUMANAN AND K. SAITHURUKA

KUALA LUMPUR: MIC deputy president Datuk S. Subramaniam will defend his post in next year's party elections, and hopes to lead the party some day. 

“This is not the first time that I am facing a contest,” he added. 

He was the first MIC leader to openly state his stand following speculation that he would be challenged by vice-president Datuk G. Palanivel, who is also the Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister. 

Subramaniam, who is without a government position, after being dropped as the Segamat MP last year, however pledged his support to party president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu and said he would not go for the top post. 

Palanivel who declined to make his stand known, also pledged his support for the president. “Ask me next year because I am in politics for today and not talking about tomorrow. 

HEAR ME: Party president Samy Vellu making a point at the closing of the 59th MIC general assembly at the PWTC here yesterday.

“I just do what is right for today and if today is right, then tomorrow will be right,” he said. 

Speaking to reporters at the MIC general assembly, Subramaniam said the delegates were mature and wise and they would see that not holding a post in the Government was all the more reason why he should retain his present position. 

“Because I don’t hold a position in the Government, I will have the time to carry out the responsibilities of the deputy president more effectively,” he said. 

Asked whether party elections next year would create a rift between members, Subramaniam said if the elections were carried out in a democratic, smooth and clean way, he did not foresee any problems. 

Incumbent vice presidents Datuk S. Veerasingam, who is the Deputy Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister and Tan Sri K.S. Nijar confirmed they intend to defend their posts. 

Youth chief S. A. Vigneswaran was non-committal about defending his position. 

“It is too early to say whether I will or will not contest.”  

MIC secretary-general Datuk S. Sothinathan also declined to comment on whether he would contest for a post in the party but described himself as the president’s man.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Penang Hospital's Outpatient Dept being used as initial treatment ward for Covid-19 as cases rise
Umno withdraws support of its MPs for Perikatan govt
Umno's Lenggong MP quits as Energy and Natural Resources Minister
Eight districts in Sarawak won't enter NRP Phase Three yet due to high Covid-19 cases
Bukit Mertajam market in Penang ordered to close again after five tested positive for Covid-19
Cops arrest man suspected of assaulting foreign trader
M'sia receives 415,000 AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses from the UK
Covid-19: Four localities in Sabah among nine to be placed under EMCO until Aug 18, says Hisham
Johor Fire and Rescue turns showcase bus into mobile vaccination centre
Best thing to do now is to work together to tackle Covid-19 pandemic, says Ti

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers