Parents’ joy turns to sorrow

By Beh Yuen Hui

KUALA LUMPUR: The parents of abuse-cum-murder victim Xu Jian Huang were taken in by the Datuk Seri’s status in Malaysia when they met him for the first time three years ago. 

Labourer Xu Jin Lai, 39, and his wife Fang Qiong Ying, 35, were impressed and proud of Datuk Seri Koh Kim Teck, a distant relative, when he visited them at their hometown in Fujian province, China. 

The couple were overjoyed when Koh offered to sponsor and provide food, shelter and education for their two sons – Jian Fei and Jian Huang – in Malaysia. 

“All we wanted was to give them the best we could in terms of education, living environment, exposure and others. 

“He was smartly dressed, highly educated and spoke well. We thought the boys would benefit if they were guided by such a successful man and so we accepted the offer. 

Jin Lai (rihgt) and his son Jian Fei holding Jian Huang's photo and ashes respectively as they leave the DBKL Crematorium in Cheras yesterday.

“I did not want my sons to do labour work and suffer like me,” said the father, who had only completed primary school. 

In 2002, the brothers flew to Malaysia and looked forward to starting a new life here. 

However, in a telephone conversation with his sons two months later, Jin Lai was shocked to hear the children’s tale of alleged torture. 

“I wanted my children to come home immediately but could not make proper arrangements for them. I was worried and telephoned them as often as I could. 

“Finally, I was told that my children were coming home last year but to my dismay, only Jian Fei came back,” he said after collecting Jian Huang’s ashes at the DBKL Crematorium in Cheras yesterday. 

It was reported that Jian Huang had refused to go home as he wanted to continue with his studies at the Mutiara International Grammar School in Ampang. 

Jin Lai said he came here to take his son home in April.  

“I saw him for a few days but when I told Koh I wanted to take my son home, I was not able to see Jin Huang any more,” he said, adding that Koh’s grandfather and his grandfather had been brothers. 

On Sept 27, 14-year-old Jian Huang’s body was sent to the Gleneagles Intan Medical Centre in Jalan Ampang and doctors there were told that he had drowned in a swimming pool. 

However, a post mortem conducted at the KL Hospital found bruises and injuries leading to suspicion of foul play. 

On Monday, the 50-year-old Koh, an executive director of a stock-broking firm, and his Sabahan bodyguard Resty Agpalo, 32, were jointly charged with the murder of Jian Huang at Koh’s house in Jalan Mengkuang off Jalan Ampang between 11pm on Sept 26 and 3.30am the next day. 

If convicted, the two face a mandatory death sentence under Section 302 of the Penal Code.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

Speak up over Ain Husniza issue or resign, Maszlee tells Radzi
Only non-contact sports like jogging, cycling allowed in Penang during MCO, says state govt
Thank you for your selfless love, Dr Wee wishes all mothers a Happy Mothers’ Day
Sungai Buloh overhead bridge restaurant temporarily closed for sanitation work, says PLUS
ICU occupancy in Johor's three MCO-enforced districts at 70%
Believe in your children, says Ain Husniza's mother
Businesses enjoy brisk Raya sales during MCO in JB, smaller crowds do last-minute shopping
Three HIDE-listed Sabah malls allowed to open on May 10 under strict SOP
Ismail Sabri: Failure to record personal details tops SOP violations
Pandalela stands up for Ain Husniza, warns teen to be alert against 'saboteurs'

Stories You'll Enjoy