DESPITE the stop-work order issued by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) on Monday, work on the Damansara 21 project in Medan Damansara is still going on.
City Hall had also slapped a RM100,000 fine on the developer as it was found that the project did not comply with safety standards and there was no proper drainage system.
We are sick and tired of DBKL and we are unhappy the developer is so defiant. Why is it that the works are still being carried out at the site, said Medan Damansara Residents Association committee member Randhir Singh.
Deputy FT Minister Datuk M. Saravanan had said that the authorities were serious in dealing with the project and that the ministry and DBKLs efforts in resolving the issue would not stop.
I have asked for a week or two from the residents to resolve the matter. I will be getting comprehensive reports from the relevant authorities and we will scrutinise the project thoroughly, he said.
Segambut MP Lim Lip Eng said DBKL should have acted much earlier when residents first raised the issue a few months ago.
However, it is better late than never and hopefully they can guarantee there is no damage to the environment as a result of the project, said Lim, expressing regret that City Hall only took action after the residents and the Pakatan Rakyat MPs exposed the issues and pressured the authority to act quickly.
The project, which began in early December, comprises 21 luxury bungalows costing between RM10mil and RM15mil each. Residents had strongly objected to the project.
The developer has promised to rectify the shortcomings by May 20 and submit a report to City Hall every Friday.
The developer, SDB Properties, in a statement issued on Tuesday stressed that it would work closely with City Hall and comply with all directives, and that the company was committed to ensuring its projects were developed in a responsible manner.
Accordingly, we have undertaken and will continue to adhere to all safety regulations and practices as required by the regulators throug-hout the period of this project, the statement added.
It was also said that the company, as part of its standard operating procedure, would continue to maintain the highest safety and environmental standards.
However, residents said a temporary stop-work order was not good enough as the project should be discontinued.
We have grounds to believe that the project does not meet the 35-degree gradient requirement and is against all City Hall by-laws, said Randhir Singh.
We want the project to be discontinued unless City Hall can prove otherwise, by showing us all the documents, he added.
He said the documents previously produced by City Hall were vague, citing that the topography map they showed was of a 1:500 scale while the residents asked for one in a scale of 1:100.
He said the residents wanted City Hall to meet them to answer all their questions.
The associations secretary Peter Raiapan noted that City Halls Public Works Department, whose duties were to supervise all projects granted Development Orders, should pay more attention and ensure that all projects were carried out according to approved plans.
Why do the local councils always have to wait for protests from the residents before taking action, he asked.