KL folk to get paid when disposing of old cars


Photo: LOW LAY PHON/The Star

OWNERS of old and unused cars in Kuala Lumpur can now earn money for disposing of their vehicles under a new initiative introduced by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).

Under the programme, DBKL-appointed contractor Car Medic Sdn Bhd will assist with the ownership transfer applications before starting the disposal process.

Owners are required to submit copies of their vehicle grant and photographs of the car before an appointment is arranged to begin the deregistration procedure.

Once the process is completed, the vehicle will be towed to a facility in Bandar Teknologi Kajang, Semenyih, Selangor, where it will be dismantled and disposed of.

Depending on the vehicle’s model and condition, owners stand to receive between RM100 and RM2,000 in compensation.

Announcing the initiative on Monday (May 18), Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Federal Territories) Hannah Yeoh said the scheme was aimed at tackling the growing number of abandoned vehicles in the capital.

"Between 2022 and 2025, DBKL received more than 9,400 complaints involving abandoned vehicles.

"Of that figure, 4,637 vehicles were towed away, of which 4,622 were disposed of, while the remainder were reclaimed by their owners.

"Meanwhile this year, as of May, 1,504 vehicles have been towed, with 367 still undergoing the disposal process," she told reporters after visiting the contractor’s facility in Semenyih with Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Seri Fadlun Mak Ujud for a briefing on the disposal process.

A company spokesman said it had been authorised by the Environment Department to carry out vehicle disposal since 2020.

"A total of 1,888 vehicles have been disposed of by us," he said, adding that the facility also accepts applications for motorcycle disposal, although no compensation will be provided to owners.

For details, call  03-8723 6555 or visit carmedic.com.my.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Johor reps back royal request for more tax funds
Penang saree walk draws hundreds draped in culture
Crucial support over the phone
State supporting Federal efforts to ease living costs
Lobster feast every last Sunday up north
Widening access to mental health services
RM4.7mil for upgrading of two Ampang food courts
S’gor to hold workshop on mandatory AED rollout
Art blooms beyond limitations
Too busy to eat no longer an excuse

Others Also Read