Selangor parking plan may be delayed, privatisation agreement not final


Selangor intelligent Parking (SIP) press conference with Datuk Ng Suee Lim. PC is to address the wrong facts associated with the parking issue. — CHAN TAK KONG/The Star

The Selangor Intelligent Parking (SIP) agreement is not final and its Aug 1 implementation may be delayed as state authorities are still refining details, Datuk Ng Suee Lim says.

"The four local councils (PBTs) involved in the first phase of the agreement have consented to it in principle, but that is subject to refinement of certain details, such as revenue sharing arrangement and contract duration," said Ng, who is state local government and tourism committee chairman.

"We are currently finalising all the details.

"The Selangor state executive council may request for a delay in implementation if certain parties are not agreeable to certain details," he elaborated.

Ng was speaking at a press conference to address queries and concerns on the Selangor government’s move to privatise parking fee collection, enforcement and management of on-street parking under the SIP initiative.

"The tripartite agreement involves PBTs as the agency that sets policies, parking rates and parking areas, Menteri Besar Incorporated (MBI) Selangor subsidiary Rantaian Mesra Sdn Bhd as the system coordinator, and the private concession company as the operator of the on-street parking system," he explained.

"The agreement will see the streamlining and centralisation of the on-street parking system into an integrated system across all PBTs in Selangor."

The four PBTs involved in the first phase are: Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ), Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ), Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) and Selayang Municipal Council (MPS). Under the concession agreement, enforcement measures such as issuing compounds will come under the PBTs' purview, while the enforcement officers' salaries and emoluments will be handled by the concessionaire.

"The parking fee collection will be distributed between the PBT, Rantaian Mesra and the concessionaire based on an agreed financial model," said Ng.

"The PBTs will not bear any operational costs," he said.

Responding to a question that the agreement had been announced by MBSJ through a social media post, Ng said his office would investigate the matter.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Stress-free Ramadan buffet spread awaits in Bangi resort
No such thing as free parking
Mark of faith and felicity
Gunners’ high-stakes derby
No to foreign traders at festive bazaars
Penang model for national blueprint on animal farms
Ipoh traders warned not to sublet lots at Ramadan sites
City look to keep pace as Newcastle bring real threat
Sweet bliss in green rice discs
Workshops to move out of housing areas

Others Also Read