Assessment impact studies for development near Kampung Bohol Flood Retention Pond to be carried out, says Dr Zaliha


THE necessary impact assessment studies, including traffic and environmental, will be carried out before approval is given for the development near Kampung Bohol Flood Retention Pond in Kuala Lumpur.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Federal Territories) Dr Zaliha Mustafa said that the developer would be required to provide detailed development plans to the authorities.

“In their development plans, we will take into account everything including the capacity of the land and the traffic, social and environmental impact assessments studies.

“We have given the condition that the upgrading of the pond must be done first before any development plan is presented,” she said following a briefing and site visit to the pond on Monday (May 20).

StarMetro previously reported that a developer has been awarded the tender to upgrade the Bohol flood retention pond.

The developer has also received approval to develop the area adjacent to the land reserved for the retention pond.

Dr Zaliha added that the upgrading of the pond is a priority to ensure floods do not reoccur.

“The site is suitable for flood retention and is needed as it is a flood-prone area.

ALSO READ: Stakeholders by the busload lodge objections to Bohol pond plan

“The proper size, inlet and outlet will be evaluated so that the pond can hold sufficient water to fit the development needs

“The housing development is also factored into the suitability of the site,” she said, adding that five tenders were received for the project.

Also present during the visit were Seputeh MP Teresa Kok and Cheras MP Tan Kok Wai.

A hearing at the Kuala Lumpur Land and Mines Office at Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin on the proposed revocation of the Kampung Bohol flood retention pond’s public-use status is scheduled for Monday.

Despite a previous commitment to scrap the land deal last year following opposition from area residents, stakeholders, and lawmakers, the government is now pushing ahead with plans to revoke the land's public-use status.

ALSO READ: Developer gets Bohol pond upgrade job

The Attorney General’s Chambers published a notice in the Federal Government Gazette on May 8 announcing the proposed revocation of the land reservation for public purposes under Section 64(2) of the National Land Code (Act 828) for Lot 35309, measuring 24.79ha.

It was signed by the Chief Secretary to the Government, Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali.

The land was originally designated for flood mitigation and gazetted on Nov 4, 2010. The surrounding area will be developed for residential purposes following the revocation.

StarMetro reported on April 29 that new development plans had emerged for the area around Kuala Lumpur’s second-largest flood retention pond, nearly a year after the Federal Government stopped a similar proposal by the previous administration to allocate the land to a private developer.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Metro News

Raja Muda of Selangor praised for use of tiffin carrier at Shah Alam pasar malam
VitaHealth leads beach cleanup initiative
Sweet treats with traditional edge
Trader operating illegal eatery in KL clears walkway
New-style brews at KL coffee festival
Classic tale comes alive at northern mall
Racing to raise funds for kids with Down syndrome
Unearthing ancient treasures in Kota Tinggi
Superhero-themed massage chair launched for Fathers Day
‘Ensure prices don’t rise in Sarawak following diesel subsidy rationalisation’

Others Also Read