Selangor govt looking to acquire land at Bukit Tabur foothills to protect world’s largest pure quartz dyke


THE Selangor government is looking at the possibility of a land acquisition exercise of some 240ha of individually-owned lots at the foothills of Bukit Tabur, Ampang Jaya in an effort to safeguard the environmentally sensitive area.

State tourism, environment, green technology and Orang Asli affairs committee chairman Hee Loy Sian said the proposal would involve identifying replacement land elsewhere for the landowners as part of the exercise.

Bukit Tabur makes up a part of the Gombak Selangor Quartz Ridge, the largest pure quartz dyke in the world.

The state is currently seeking to formally recognise Selangor’s first unified national geopark, of which the quartz ridge is a prominent feature.

“There are about 300 lots that have been identified as privately-owned since 1924 and are currently zoned as agricultural land.

“These lots are not forest reserves, and there are owners who are now keen to develop their land.

“But this would have an impact on its geology as well as the state’s plans to seek national geopark status for the Gombak-Hulu Langat Geopark (GHL Geopark),” he said after attending a geopark-related event at the Grand Barakah Hotel Ampang on Aug 16.

Hee added that the proposal was one of the long-term solutions being explored following recent reports of land clearing activities at the hill.

“The matter was discussed at the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) meeting and we have instructed the land office to study the proposal. We will also have to have consultations with the landowners.

“In the meantime, I want to remind owners to not carry out any land clearing works without approval.”

In July, it was reported that a large area of Bukit Tabur had been cleared for a durian orchard and other eco-tourism activities.

Following residents’ complaints, the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) confirmed that the land clearing was done without approval.

“We have asked the owners to cease any clearing works and new proposals will not be allowed until further notice,” MPAJ secretary Julaihah Jamaludin said.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Metro News

Devotees observe vegetarian diet
New app for Kuala Lumpur folk to access detailed maps
Concessionaires in talks to ease traffic on ramp to Jalan Cheras
Uphold transparency, local councillors urged
State taking steps to keep zapin alive
Sirim seeks RM15mil federal grant to further assist SMEs
Councillor: Providing financial aid not Kluang council’s standard practice
Free year-long access to epaper for undergrads
Training community leaders in emergency flood response
988 deejays meet fans, broadcast live from Ipoh

Others Also Read