Efforts to clear 350 tonnes of rubbish from KL ongoing


Discarded furniture and appliances stacked along the road in Kampung Pasir, Kuala Lumpur following last weekend’s floods. — SS KANESAN/The Star

POST-flood cleanup efforts in Kuala Lumpur may only be completed by Dec 31 as almost 350 tonnes of bulk waste has to be removed

Federal Territories Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Corporation (SWCorp) director Ummi Kalthum Shuib, however, said this would not affect regular waste collection.

“We have deployed people and assets, through our concessionaire Alam Flora Sdn Bhd, to clean up roads and neighbourhoods that were flooded.

“Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) has also sent out teams to assist in clean-ups,” she said when contacted.

Between Dec 19 and 21, some 143 tonnes of post-flood bulk waste had been collected.

“The challenge has been to ensure that major streets and roads are cleaned up quickly for vehicles to pass through,” said Ummi Kalthum, adding that some 155 workers have been deployed.

Meanwhile, flood control assets under the Kuala Lumpur Drainage and Irrigation Department (WPKL DID) are on standby.

WPKL DID deputy director Ratna Rajah Sivapiragasam said this time the city did not face severe flooding due to the Kuala Lumpur Flood Mitigation (KLFM) plan.

KLFM is based on the control-at-source approach whereby excess water is diverted to flood mitigation ponds.

The stored water is then gradually released back into rivers when the situation improves.

This prevents excess water from flowing into the city during a downpour, which can lead to flooding.

KLFM A is the Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel (Smart Tunnel) bypass with three million cubic metres capacity, while KLFM B consists of Jinjang and Batu flood retention ponds with a combined capacity of 7.1 million cubic metres.

Ratna Rajah said the Smart Tunnel managed to divert five million cubic metres of water over the weekend, and along with KLFM B, were instrumental in preventing serious flooding.

“Now we will focus on cleaning up all the floating rubbish and sediment that had been swept into the water storage ponds and control structures.

“We will mobilise our contractors to start clearing up as we have to wait for the water to recede,” he said.

Meanwhile, the aftermath of heavy rain and floods is still being felt all over the city as numerous landslides and fallen trees were reported.

As of Dec 22, some 332 people were still at temporary evacuation centres (PPS), including 264 at SJK(T) Lembah Pantai and 68 at PPS Kelab Sultan Sulaiman.

Landslides have been reported in 70 locations, including Kampung Palimbayan, Bukit Tunku, Lorong Burhanuddin Helmi 4, Jalan Pantai Permai and Bangsar Indah Condominium.

Late Tuesday night, about 34 families at Seri Duta 1, Bukit Tunku were evacuated due to a landslide.

“Mandatory relocation of 34 families, voluntary relocation of 62 families and at the Bangsar Indah Condominium, four families were relocated.

“DBKL and the consultant will come up with a proposal for the next course of action within 24 hours,” Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim posted on Facebook.

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

'Datuk Seri' stokes neighbours' and council's ire with illegal roadworks
Free meals for the needy and frontliners
NGO fulfils grocery wishes of poor families
Public’s swift response helps teen get overdue surgery
Council planning for better times
‘Good to grow own food’
Remembering communities and the bonds that formed during WWII
Langkawi’s latest hotel to offer authentic experience
Border reopening brings influx of visitors
Charity bazaar returns to raise RM100,000

Others Also Read