ALL physical Ramadan bazaars in the Federal Territories will be cancelled, with three alternatives to be offered to traders, says Tan Sri Annuar Musa.
“The three concepts to sell food and drinks are: drive-thru, pack and pick, and e-hailing service, ” said the Federal Territories Minister.
“For the drive-thru concept, the food will be pre-packed; there will be a 20m gap between canopies and traders will be arranged according to segments.
“The drive-thru system will be located in areas where the roads are wide and traffic circulation doesn’t create an obstruction, ” he said, adding that the two locations identified so far are Bukit Jalil National Stadium in Kuala Lumpur and Boulevard Presint 2, Putrajaya.
Annuar said the “pack and pick” concept allows customers to make their pre-orders online through platforms provided by the local authorities, with payment done online or via e-wallet.
“The collection of food will be done at places determined by the local authorities while ensuring social distancing measures are in place.
“For the e-hailing concept, the local authorities will register the traders with companies such as Grab Food and Food Panda.
“Customers just need to place their orders using the app and food will be delivered to their homes.”
The local authorities under the ministry’s purview are Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), Putrajaya Corporation (PPj) and Labuan Corporation (PL).
Annuar, who spoke via a live streaming session on Facebook on Wednesday (April 8), said all three concepts had been approved by the Cabinet and adhered to the Health Ministry’s guidelines.
“The details of the three concepts will be fine-tuned by the local authorities, ” he said, adding that an incentive would also be drawn up to encourage traders to adopt the new move.
“DBKL, PPj and PL will also refund the payments and related fees to Ramadan bazaar traders and organisers.”
Registration for the new concepts will begin on April 13 and end on April 19.
Meanwhile, Annuar advised visitors to exercise caution when visiting the Masjid India area, particularly near the three buildings where the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) is in place.
“Stricter measures have been enforced at Menara City One, Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion, which are under lockdown after having a high number of Covid-19 cases within a single building, ” he said.
“Those who own or work in nearby buildings will be subject to stricter checks to ensure public safety. Only those who wear full personal protective equipment are allowed to enter the buildings under lockdown.
“To assist those staying in Selangor Mansion and Malayan Mansion, most of whom are non-Malaysian citizens, we are mulling the idea of getting traders to set up stalls to sell food and groceries. The residents will be allowed to buy their provisions in controlled groups.”
Did you find this article insightful?
47% readers found this article insightful