PUTRAJAYA: From March 15, only pedestrians and buses will be able to use a 1km stretch of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (Jalan TAR) from the Jalan Esfahan intersection to the Jalan Melayu intersection, says Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan.
He said a majority of the people who gave feedback on the Kuala Lumpur City Hall Facebook page agreed with the new traffic plan.
"We received about 1,000 responses, out of which 57% agreed and 43% disagreed.
"We also met with owners of premises along the stretch last week, informing them of the plan," he said after a luncheon talk on the development plans in Kuala Lumpur at Menara Seri Wilayah here.
Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad said if the conversion went well, the Ramadan Bazaar along Jalan Masjid India, that would be relocated this year, may be allowed to operate from Jalan TAR.
"We have to allow buses as there are no alternative roads in the area with a suitable turning radius for it to pass through.
"Jalan TAR is already equipped to accommodate pedestrians, and the road is wide enough to set up a festive bazaar. The permanent shops' entrances will not be blocked either," he said.