‘Explore Kajang’s prospect as heritage town’


The market’s facade has been painted as part of the upgrading works. — LOW LAY PHON/The Star

THE government has been urged to promote Kajang as a heritage town to attract more tourists in conjunction with the Visit Selangor Year 2025 and Visit Malaysia 2026 campaigns.

Bangi MP Syahredzan Johan said Kajang is a historical town with many buildings over 100 years old, such as the Kajang High School, Kajang Hospital and Tin Hong Si in Jalan Mendaling.

“We need to think of a way to make Kajang a tourist attraction.

“I believe this can be achieved with the collaboration between the Selangor government and Federal Government through the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry,” Syahredzan told reporters during a visit to the recently upgraded Pasar Kajang.

Syahredzan says the Housing and Local Government Ministry allocated RM800,000 for the extensive market upgrade.
Syahredzan says the Housing and Local Government Ministry allocated RM800,000 for the extensive market upgrade.

He said the upgrades had been initiated by Kajang Municipal Council (MPKj) with funds from the Hou­sing and Local Government Minis­­­try (KPKT).

“KPKT allocated RM800,000 to MPKj for the extensive market upgrade,” he said.

As part of the works, the market’s facade was painted, toilets and surau repaired, broken tiles replaced, waterproofing and road resurfacing carried out and street lamps installed, he said.

Work began Aug 20 last year and was completed last week.

While he was satisfied with the quality of the upgrading work, Syahredzan added that works to improve the place was a continuous process.

“My office will continue working together with MPKj to secure more funds to make the market even better for the convenience of traders and visitors.”

He added that many lots on the market’s second floor were still empty and hoped the refurbished market would attract more business.

Also present was Persatuan Pasar Kajang member Effendi Ariffin, who thanked Syah­redzan’s team, MPKj and the contractor.

“I hope more people will come here. I also hope that all the upgraded facilities will be well maintained,” said Effendi.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

Recycling premises under investigation for Sg Kabul odour pollution
Stress-free Ramadan buffet spread awaits in Bangi resort
No such thing as free parking
Mark of faith and felicity
Gunners’ high-stakes derby
No to foreign traders at festive bazaars
Penang model for national blueprint on animal farms
Ipoh traders warned not to sublet lots at Ramadan sites
City look to keep pace as Newcastle bring real threat
Sweet bliss in green rice discs

Others Also Read