Is John Galliano making a full comeback? Zara partners with the fashion designer


By AGENCY
This combination of file pictures John Galliano at the end of Christian Dior ready-to-wear Spring/Summer 2010 fashion show in Paris and the logo of Zara pictured in Paris last year. Photo: AFP

Spanish fashion retailer Zara said Tuesday (March 17) it has entered into a two-year "artistic partnership" with controversial British designer John Galliano.

The 65-year-old couturier will reconfigure pieces drawn from Zara's past collections into new designs, the company said in a statement.

"Guided by a haute couture process and approach, the collections will be unveiled each season throughout the duration of the partnership, starting in September 2026," it added without giving further details.

Read more: Can Demna save Gucci? How the designer is transforming the brand – and himself

Zara is owned by Inditex, the world's leading low-cost fashion retailer which posted a record annual profit in 2025 for the third year running.

"To deliver fashion through that enormous platform – that, of course, that's thrilling. And to be able to work with the kind of resources they have as well, that's equally thrilling," Galliano told fashion magazine Vogue.

Galliano, who previously headed artistry at Givenchy and Christian Dior, has dressed countless celebrities during his tenure, including Kim Kardashian, Kary Perry and Zendaya for red-carpet events.

Known for his flamboyant personality and daring designs, Galliano's career suffered a dramatic setback in 2011 following a drunken rant in a Paris bar where he hurled antisemitic and racist insults at the other patrons.

He was subsequently dismissed from Dior, underwent rehab in Switzerland and apologised for his behaviour during a visit to the Central Synagogue in London.

Read more: Still think the 'devil' wears Prada? Fashion has moved on, she now wears Sasuphi

Gibraltar-born Galliano returned to the fashion world in 2014 when he joined French label Maison Margiela as its creative director, a position he held until 2024.

With fast-growing budget fashion retailer Shein taking share at the cheaper end of the market, Zara has moved to attract more discerning shoppers and offered more expensive clothing in recent years. – AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
fashion , John Galliano , Zara , Inditex

Next In Style

Perfection not the goal: 'Done but not overdone' hairstyle is K-beauty's new hit
Why Malaysia is becoming an important stop on fashion’s evolving global map
How Princess Catherine’s sleek suiting gives royal fashion a modern edge
'More selective': Are the lights going down on LVMH’s era of fashion excess?
Stopping short of a ban, Milan Fashion Week to 'invite' brands to not show fur
Piaget’s brand ambassadors raise the glam quotient at Geneva fair
Hublot collaborates with US artist Daniel Arsham for the second time
Watches that stole the show at Watches and Wonders 2026
Piaget's new Sixtie timepiece is an into-the-blue design watch
Casio and design house Liberty team up to create watches with a touch of retro

Others Also Read