Let's roll back the clock to the mid-1980s. During this time, the "it" colour scheme in home decor was black and mauve. It was literally everywhere, featured in textiles, artwork, upholstery, you name it.
While the colour scheme may not be as wildly popular as it was in the 80s, it is still relevant.
Looking for ways to incorporate black and mauve into your home? Here are some top tips.
1. Find an inspirational piece and build a colour palette around it. Artwork is a great springboard.
2. Consider using either black or mauve as an accent wall colour. Black accent walls can be dynamic in the right space.
3. Use portable design elements to integrate black and mauve into a space such as toss pillows, throws and even books.
4. Highlight black and mauve by pairing them with metallic elements. Don’t be afraid to incorporate both silver and gold in the same space.
5. Create a sense of balance by using similar portions of black and mauve in your space.
6. Use neutral foundation pieces such as cream and grey, and then use black and mauve as your pops of colour.
7. Ground a space with a large dominant piece such as a bold piece of art that includes a black and mauve colour scheme.
8. Consider fixtures that incorporate black and a metal such as brass, then bring in mauve through accents and accessories.
9. Incorporate black and mauve through textiles such as area rugs, drapery and even bedding.