Alec Baldwin manslaughter trial dismissed by judge over withheld evidence


By AGENCY
US actor Alec Baldwin hugs a member of his legal team at the conclucion of his trial on involuntary manslaughter at Santa Fe County District Court in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on July 12, 2024. Baldwin's trial for involuntary manslaughter was dismissed by a judge Friday after she ruled that key evidence over a fatal shooting on the set of "Rust" had been withheld from the defense. — Photo: RAMSAY DE GIVE/Pool via REUTERS

Alec Baldwin's trial for involuntary manslaughter was dismissed by a judge Friday after she ruled that key evidence over a fatal shooting on the set of Rust had been withheld from the defense.

Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer, presiding over the trial in Santa Fe, New Mexico, said that bullets potentially linked to the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins that could have been favorable to Baldwin's case had not been shared with his lawyers by police and prosecutors.

The Hollywood A-lister immediately burst into tears, as the case – which could have seen him sentenced to 18 months in prison if found guilty – was abruptly tossed out in sensational scenes.

"The state's willful withholding of this information was intentional and deliberate. If this conduct does not rise to the level of bad faith, it certainly comes so near to bad faith as to show signs of scorching prejudice," said Sommer.

"The court concludes that this conduct is highly prejudicial to the defendant."

Baldwin was holding a gun in the direction of Hutchins during a rehearsal in October 2021 when the weapon fired, killing Hutchins and wounding the film's director.

The movie's armorer Hannah Gutierrez, who loaded the fatal weapon, is already serving 18 months in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

Baldwin was facing the same charge. Prosecutors claim he ignored basic gun safety laws and acted recklessly on set.

Baldwin's celebrity lawyer Alex Spiro argued the actor had no responsibility for checking the weapon's deadly contents and did not know it contained live rounds.

But the defense's case also rested heavily on discrediting the police investigation.

And Spiro on Thursday introduced evidence that live bullets potentially linked to the shooting had been handed to police, but not disclosed to Baldwin's lawyers.

The bullets were handed into police by a "Good Samaritan" earlier this year, more than two years after the Rust tragedy.

The "Good Samaritan" was a former police officer and a family friend of Gutierrez, the armorer. He told police the bullets matched the rounds that killed Hutchins.

Spiro accused police of having "buried" evidence by not filing it under the Rust case, depriving the defense of a chance to see it.

"Which was a perfect plan," he told the court.

Crime scene technician Marissa Poppell, under questioning from Spiro, said she had catalogued the bullets, but had been told not to file them under the Rust case.

Special prosecutor Kari Morrissey scrambled to respond, telling the court she had never seen or heard of the bullets before this week.

But when it emerged that Morrissey had been present for discussions in which it was decided not to submit the bullets into the Rust case file, Morrissey voluntarily called herself as a witness in a last-ditch attempt to salvage the state's case.

She claimed the allegedly "buried" bullets did not match the live rounds on the set of Rust, and had been stored in a different state, Arizona, up to the day of the tragic shooting.

Sommer was not convinced and dismissed the case, prompting the emotional scenes among Baldwin and his family. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Entertainment

What do Adele and Tom Holland have in common? They graduated from this school
Mandopop singer Jay Chou purchases painting by French artist for RM79mil
Yuna becomes first local artiste to surpass one billion streams on Spotify
Can Baby Yoda bring 'Star Wars' fans back to cinemas?
Paul McCartney helps Stephen Colbert say goodbye to 'Late Show'
Tickets to BTS concerts in Malaysia go on sale June 3
Singer JJ Lin attends girlfriend’s graduation ceremony in New York
Kylie Minogue chose not to reveal second breast cancer diagnosis in 2021
Seagull poops on King Charles during Northern Ireland visit
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens

Others Also Read