Trump administration sued over Chinese import tariffs


US President Donald Trump. — Reuters

New Civil Liberties Alliance, a conservative legal group, on Thursday filed what it said was the first lawsuit seeking to block Donald Trump's tariffs on Chinese imports, saying the U.S. president overstepped his authority.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Florida, alleges that Trump lacked the legal authority to impose the sweeping tariffs unveiled on Wednesday as well as duties authorized on February 1 under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.

"By invoking emergency power to impose an across-the-board tariff on imports from China that the statute does not authorize, President Trump has misused that power, usurped Congress’s right to control tariffs, and upset the Constitution’s separation of powers," NCLA senior litigation counsel Andrew Morris said in a statement.

White House representatives did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

NCLA filed the lawsuit on behalf of Simplified, a Florida-based retailer of home management products.

Trump on Wednesday announced that China would be hit with a 34% tariff, on top of the 20% he imposed earlier this year, bringing the total new levies to 54%.

The lawsuit asks a judge to block implementation and enforcement of the tariffs and undo Trump's changes to the U.S. tariff schedule.

The lawsuit says presidents can only impose tariffs with Congress' permission and under complex trade statutes spelling out how and when they can be authorized.

"Such statutes require advance investigations, detailed factual findings, and a close fit between the statutory authority and a tariff’s scope," the lawsuit says.

The law Trump invoked has never been used to impose tariffs and only allows presidents to take actions that are necessary to address a specific emergency, the lawsuit said.

Trump has declared an emergency over China's alleged complicity in the U.S. opioid epidemic, framing tariffs as a negotiating tool for ending the influx of the deadly drugs.

The lawsuit says that justification is a pretext for imposing tariffs aimed at reducing U.S. trade deficits while raising tax revenue.

The case was assigned to U.S. District Judge Kent Wetherell, a Trump appointee who had halted a key part of former President Joe Biden's immigration policy in 2023. - Reuters 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
China , US , Donald Trump , import , tariff

Next In Business News

Sports Toto maintains positive outlook despite lower 3Q profit
SunCon's 1Q net profit rises to RM118.41mil on higher profit margin, pays div of 22.8c/share
Pos Malaysia narrows 1Q loss on improved postal and aviation contributions
WCT unit bags RM152.68mil construction job in Taiwan
TNB launches Malaysia's first battery energy storage system connected to national grid
GX Bank, CGC Digital to offer credit access up to RM150,0000 to MSMEs
Shell Malaysia to expand its Westport fuels terminal
Bursa Malaysia stays lower at midday following lack of progress at Trump-Xi summit
L&G launches Damansara Laverra development with RM752mil GDV
Censof unit to develop Islamic accounting system for FT Islamic council

Others Also Read