How does the Strait of Hormuz stand-off look in the wake of the Trump-Xi summit?


The deadlock over the Strait of Hormuz was one of the key issues discussed during the summit between Donald Trump and Xi Jinping last week.

As the impasse continues, here is where things stand.

Iran prepares new transit mechanism

Tehran is moving to formalise its control over the strait with a “professional mechanism” to regulate shipping.

“The necessary fees will be collected for the specialised services provided under this mechanism,” Ebrahim Azizi, the head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission, wrote on social media on Saturday.

He said only commercial vessels and parties cooperating with Iran would benefit, adding: “This route will remain closed to the operators of the so‑called ‘freedom project’.”

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said during a Brics meeting in India on Friday that Tehran had received messages that the Trump administration was open to fresh talks, Agence France-Presse reported.

Araghchi expressed deep scepticism over Washington’s intentions, but said Iran would take part if the US was serious and ready for “a fair and balanced deal”.

He also said Iran would welcome any offers of help to end the war from other countries, including China.

Meanwhile, Iran has appointed parliamentary speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf as a special representative for China to coordinate relations between the two countries, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported on Sunday.

Stand-off at sea continues

Commercial shipping through the strait remains heavily disrupted.

However, Iranian state media reported on Saturday that more nations were seeking Iran’s permission to let their ships pass through the waterway.

Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting said ships from China, Japan and Pakistan had been allowed to pass through and “several European nations” were asking for similar permission.

On Thursday, Iranian authorities seized the Hui Chuan, a support ship owned by Hong Kong-registered Sinoguards Marine Security.

It was the first known seizure of a private security vessel since the start of the war in late February.

US-China splits

American and Chinese officials gave slightly divergent accounts of Beijing’s stance after their talks on Thursday.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Bloomberg Television on Friday that Chinese officials had made it clear that Beijing wanted the Strait of Hormuz to reopen without restrictions.

“It’s really important for China to have the Strait of Hormuz open, no tolling, no military control. That was clear from the meeting. So we welcome that,” he said.

But a briefing from Foreign Minister Wang Yi the same day called for the strait to reopen as soon as possible – but did not address the issue of tolls.

Trump weighs military options

Trump wrote on social media on Friday that military strikes against Iran were “to be continued!”

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, he also flatly rejected Iran’s latest peace proposal, saying if he disliked the first sentence of an offer, he “throws it away”.

But the spike in oil prices caused by the strait’s closure is damaging his approval ratings and CNN reported that Washington was divided over what the next move should be, with some arguing for more aggressive actions, including targeted strikes, while some others favour a continued focus on diplomacy.

What’s next?

The diplomatic focus will remain in Beijing in the following days, with Russian President Vladimir Putin scheduled to arrive for a two-day visit on Tuesday and Wednesday, when the Middle East is likely to feature in his talks with Xi.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia had started discussions with neighbouring states on a potential non-aggression pact with Iran, modelled after the Cold War-era Helsinki Accords, the Financial Times reported.

The proposal follows a series of Iranian strikes on US allies in the region and the impact of the closure of the Strait of Hormuz on major oil producers, both of which highlighted the Gulf states’ vulnerabilities. -- SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Ancient China laws punished men for crying; people with messy handwriting forced to drink ink
United Nations says US$610mil shortfall in life-saving Rohingya refugee aid
Thai faith healer charged with rape, child abuse
30-year prison sentence upheld for ex-Rela member who fatally shot friend
South Korean oil tanker transits Strait of Hormuz
EC informed of vacancies of Pandan, Setiawangsa parliamentary seats, says Dewan Rakyat Speaker
Tony Pua under investigation for post on Malay Rulers, confirms Bukit Aman
MalaysiaNow chief editor questioned over report on clip involving Farhash
Elephant management cooperation cannot be terminated unilaterally, says Taiping Municipal Council
Customs launches nationwide F&B registration ops

Others Also Read